VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I;m after some feedback from you fella's....my 58 plate Sportline Kombi has just covered 19k and the front tyres are now in need of replacing. It came fitted with Continental 4x4 Contact which I have had prices quoted to me between £197-£205 each.

One of the tyre chaps said that he didnt really rate Continental, although 19k was good for a pair of front tyres, he reckoned he could probably find an alternative pair of load rated branded tyres for less money. Another tyre outfit told me that Continentals were quite hard to get hold of but they could supply me with a pair of "Falcon" (never heard of them) for £275 the pair.

I was just wondering what boots other people have put on the front end of their 174's. I dont want to spend a national debt, but I dont mind spending the money if the tyre is good and will last a similar mileage. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm running conti's on mine and that's what I will be replacing it with. Falcon's are ok tyres but I doubt you'll get the mileage out of them, you have with the current set.

Conti's are a fairly hard compound, the Falcons would be softer I would think. If it was my money, conti's.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I run conti’s on mine. I like the fact that they have a nice thick edge protector. Got them from kwikfit ordered on-line (cheaper) last summer for about £160 each. Wearing ok and thats with almost a T30's full pay load.:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to be ignorant! I didnt ask the fella to spell "Falken" Thanks for pointing that out to me......

How should a Sportline be driven?? If you mean flat out everywhere I go, then no, I dont want stacks of points on my licence and I dont want it to cost me more than it has to by wearing things out (tyres for example)
Its not the fastest motor I have owned so the novelty really isnt a novelty, perhaps its a sign of my age, or perhaps its cause you Cornwall fellas are all "yahoo's" down there.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Just thought i mention, I dont have a sportline, just the wheelsI:
Ive got a 130 which goes ok. Im not trying to make the van look like a sportline, just like the look of the wheels.
*<:)>

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wouldn't say falkens are budget tyres, i'd say more mid range.
Full run, Clear, accelera, Wanli etc are what I'd class as budget.

We've been using 255/45/18 Falken st z01 for the last year nearly. Rears are not far off new depth. fronts I reckon are about 5 mm
after 8000 miles. Grip has been great in all conditions but snow.

kerbing protection is great, but noise is highish.

I'll measure the depths of tread when I can find the gauge.

Just make sure you get at least 101 load rating as bobely said. The Falkens are 103, plenty T:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Going back to 'C' rated tyres, how do we all fare if we get stopped by VOSA, do they need to be C or is it ok if the load rating matches load capacity?

I guess if VW put the sportline out without a c rated it must be ok?

·
Registered
53 Posts
seem to get approx 20k out of all my tyres, moved away from conti, good grip but too expensive. Have tried goodyears they are ok, and also have pirelli on the rear which seem decent.

Just dont buy cheap , tyres are the most important things on your van, not glamourous but you get what you pay for. My life worth a fortune so I will always buy quality brands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.