VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my recent cockup, buying the wrong PCD wheels it's give me a chance to choose replacements, and I think I've decided to go brand new load rated alloys in 16".
I drive on some nasty roads with poor surfaces and don't fancy a trip to a wheel repairers every few months.
So... what size tyres should I aim for?
I'm thinking of something like this http://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-details.aspx?ID=1427 and I'm thinking of going for full on winter tyres (good idea?) as I visit the Lake District and Scottish Highlands in winter.
Choices are 205/60/16, 215/60/16, 225/55/16, 225/60/16.
Cheers

·
Registered
423 Posts
I run 225/60's (conti's) van rated 103 and they are the dog's danglies. Soak up all the bumps superbly and grip like a fresh turd on sandals. I would leave the winters till the winter and the temperature is way down as they grip like slicks but wear out like a flash in normal temperatures.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
235/60/16s here! Lowered by 40mm

There a little bit big and my speedos probly wrong! But soak up every hit even huge ones. Next time around will be 225 Was running wrong tyres and alloys before so its a massive improvement anyway.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
235/60/16s here! Lowered by 40mm

There a little bit big and my speedos probly wrong! But soak up every hit even huge ones. Next time around will be 225 Was running wrong tyres and alloys before so its a massive improvement anyway.
I'm running 215/65 R16s which are near enough identical to yours on the rolling circumfrence (0.2% difference) and I found after fitting them, my speedo was spot on the GPS speed A:

My van is lowered, but don't know by how much! (Done before I bought)
Got a basic little conversion in back (1000mm of IKEA units, bench/bed in wood and selection of camping gear.

Close up of rear ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts