VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and haven't yet purchased a van. I've always wanted one and have finally decided to take the plunge! I've been a landrover nerd for the last couple of years and I really wish I'd known what i know now when i bought my first landy. As such I'm seeking advice before I buy my first van. I'm keen to hear peoples opinions on wether to get a t4 or t5 and which engine size and model etc.. I know there are other factors involved, so for the purpose of the thread I'm working on a budget of between 5-10k and reliability and confort are the most important factors for me.
Thankyou very much in advance for any pearls offered.
Add

·
Registered
273 Posts
Add,

I saw a 60 plate T28 for £11995 plus VAT at imperial commercials in Beeston, Nottingham today. Only 15k miles, although its an 84ps. Seemed a good price to me.

I started looking for second hand and ended up buying new, with such good residual values I think it will work out cheaper in the end.

Bca auctions were a waste of time and I'm glad now that I didn't get carried away and bid. I was after a near new kombi, which sold for 19k, had no rear seats and was a little tatty for its age. The price exc vat and buying fee, 24k all in. My vans nearing completion and I've spent less than that and it's been my blank canvas.

I'm in Chilwell of J25 of M1 if you want to pick my brains.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and haven't yet purchased a van. I've always wanted one and have finally decided to take the plunge! I've been a landrover nerd for the last couple of years and I really wish I'd known what i know now when i bought my first landy. As such I'm seeking advice before I buy my first van. I'm keen to hear peoples opinions on wether to get a t4 or t5 and which engine size and model etc.. I know there are other factors involved, so for the purpose of the thread I'm working on a budget of between 5-10k and reliability and confort are the most important factors for me.
Thankyou very much in advance for any pearls offered.
Add
I had a highly tuned, top spec, much modified 90 (started life as an X-tech) prior to the T5, so I can speak from experience - with your budget (I just know this will alienate this whole forum) I would stick with the LR, assuming it's in reasonable condition. Put the money you intend to throw at the new van in to overhauling / modding the LR. LR's are cheaper to fix than VW's (good job as they tend to be les reliable too!) and they depreciate even slower than any Transporter (much slower, let's be honest) so you won't lose anything by waiting.
That is unless you REALLY, REALLY need the extra load space and you need it in a hurry.
If you already have alternate transport you might want to sell the LR after the snow hits the deck - people are usually happy to pay a premium to buy something quick when they get snowed in.
Other than that decide if you want performance or newness - bigger engined vans come with a premium price tag. Better condition, lower mileage, low power vans make sense if you need load space not performance (relatively speaking!)
They are generally more civilised than LR's - the newer models (T5) almost compare with a family car for ease of driving and performance.
I'd go for a SWB, T5, 4-cyl, manual with a lined bulkhead (may want to make your own to let the seat move back and recline more) and try to get aircon.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, thanks for the great replies I appreciate the advice. Phanson.. I'm hoping to keep my 90 (well certainly for as long as I can afford to anyway) It makes a fair difference to my transporter budget but at the moment I just cant bring myself to sell it! But your post was very helpful thanks mate, always nice to here from another lr nerd

Although now I think about it maybe Dazboi's right and i should just get a Skoda lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the great replies I appreciate the advice. Phanson.. I'm hoping to keep my 90 (well certainly for as long as I can afford to anyway) It makes a fair difference to my transporter budget but at the moment I just cant bring myself to sell it! But your post was very helpful thanks mate, always nice to here from another lr nerd

Although now I think about it maybe Dazboi's right and i should just get a Skoda lol
New ballgame, it depends what your 90 is worth, but;
Sell the LR and get a facelift T5, 180 or 140 with DSG box the extra money may even be enough to get a 4-motion
You won't be able to go seriously off road, but in EVERY other respect the VW is better.
Go for the highest spec you can afford.
£10k plus the price of a 90 might be enough?

Good luck with your search.
The other factor is how much you can do inside the VW yourself, as long as the mechanical spec is what you want you can adapt the interior in most any way you choose. So don't let the panel van v's kombi thing put you off. If you are super handy in the mechanical department it isn't unheard of for engine transients in Transporters too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I'm in the same boat mate, I'm ready to buy my first Vw van! Thinking T5 140 hp, but they seem about 3 k more than the 102 hp! Might look into getting the 102 then getting it remapped!! Not sure if this is a good idea thou. I want the van mainly for my hobby of carp fishing, fancy kitting it all out with bed chair, tv, cooking, etc.... Seen a few already kitted out with this sort of spec, they really are the dogs dangly bits...
Been searching all the websites and have found a few but looks like you get what u pay for!
Can't wait to purchase my early Xmas present !!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I pick up a March 12 102 t28 from Imperial Nottingham tomorrow, 4.5k miles for £11990 plus the dreaded
After a lot of searching I think its a really good price.
Have done everything over the phone so far and they have been very good, will see how things go tomorrow T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts