VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Got an 05 t26 with 37000 miles. On full lock when turning at low speeds there is a whining / straining noise coming from the steering or maybe transmission. What could it be ? Ive read many posts on here and similar symptoms suggest a wide array of faults. Any ideas so that I can approach the garage with a bit if knowledge. Gareth

·
Registered
907 Posts
Power steering pump - belt needs tightening?

·
Registered
312 Posts
If your van is a 1.9 then the most likely culprit is the alternator pulley. The pulley has a one way clutch in it, the clutch seizes and it causes the problem you're describing. With the engine stopped,get a torch and look through the vents near the front ( belt end ) of the alternator, you should see the internal fan blades. Get a thin screwdriver and carefully try to rotate the alternator via the fan blades. It should turn in one direction but not the other. If it won't turn either way, the pulley is seized and requires replacement. Special tool required to change pulley.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your van is a 1.9 then the most likely culprit is the alternator pulley. The pulley has a one way clutch in it, the clutch seizes and it causes the problem you're describing. With the engine stopped,get a torch and look through the vents near the front ( belt end ) of the alternator, you should see the internal fan blades. Get a thin screwdriver and carefully try to rotate the alternator via the fan blades. It should turn in one direction but not the other. If it won't turn either way, the pulley is seized and requires replacement. Special tool required to change pulley.
You are spot on with your diagnosis. It is the OAP. Took it to garage today and the mechanic drove van. He said exactly the same. Van now booked in. Thankfully not too pricey a job. Thanks for coming back to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much was not to pricey if you dont mind me asking. I have the same problem I think and the garage is charging me over 300!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts