VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all advice please

Recently purchased a T5 on and 04 plate low milage 43000, while looking around it over the past few day I had notice white sludge under oil filler cap and it is also in the rocker cover breather tube thing, cleaned it all out and have driven it for a few days, but it has come back, there is no sign of any white sludge in the rocker housing it's self can anyone advise, I am hoping this is just a cold weather condensation thing::*:* it doesn't appear to be losing water and there is no sign of condensation on the dipstick:*
Also while I'm on it's struggling to start if left for a long period especially in the morning and sounds like it's missfiring when it does eventually kick into life with a cloud of greyish smoke, the smoke dissapears pretty much immediately tho' and when going drives great

Any thoughts peeps

Oh one more thing the dash temperature guage doesn't seem to move at all could this be just a sensor/thermostat thing:*

any advise appreciated:):)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If it's not losing coolant I wouldn't be too worried, do you know anything about it's immediate history?
The poor starting could be a lazy or dead glow plug (take them out and test).
The temp guage I'd fix/replace asap.. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy

it was previously owned by bournmouth council and service regular
will definately get temp gauge problem sorted as still under a few months warrantee so will also get them to do the glow plugs toT:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi mate,

My van is a 54 plate 1.9 104 with exactly the same symtoms as yours...sludgy filler cap/rough start/puff of smoke etc.

My temp guage is very eratic too, when the van is cold it takes ages for it to go up, then when the vans warmed up all of a sudden the guage will go down to zero, but then straight back up to 90 degrees, the all important thing though is that it never goes above 90 (exact dead centre on the guage). A new thermostat is on my shopping list and will hopefully cure it.

With the sludgy oil cap issue, the main thing is that there's no sludge any further down than the filler neck, believe me when a head gasket goes the engine looks a right old mess, and you'll be filling up your water constantly. From what i've heard/read it can be down to cold weather and/or a bad seal on the cap or filler neck, so thats gonna be my first port of call.

As far as the starting/smoke issue goes, i'm fairly convinced that i have a glow plug down. If I start the van from cold yes it runs a bit lumpy for a couple of seconds then all is well, but if i only do a short journey when cold then come to re-start the van the glow plug light takes forever to go out. So as far as that goes I'm gonna get me a new set of glow plugs, might even try and fit them myself if i can find a thread on here explaining how to do it.

Hope this puts your mind at rest H:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate

Most reassuring to hear that these problems may not be to serious

thanks very much for your comments will update when sortedT:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey folks,

Just an update on previously mentioned problems

White sludge was confirmed as condensation so nothing to worry about thereA:A:

Temp gauge not working as well as poor start has turned out to be fuel temp sensor and engine temp sensor being connected the wrong way around (identical conections) all working great now temp gauge sitting where it is suposed to and engine starting first time no problemsA:

So finger crossed all sorted

thanks for any input nice to know I'm not alone out there:ILU:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good to hear you've got it all sorted and running well again T:

Could you tell me where the 2 sensors are located that where the wrong way around please?

Are you 1.9 Tdi or 2.5Tdi?

Cheers
Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts