VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to start the van this morning (been -13 now -7) no start but got it jumped after a few turn overs, the low oil warning flashed a few times but did not stay on. When it did start there was a fair clatter as it got going but when up and running seemed to be running fine. Took it a run to get the battery up and when accelerating we had white smoke, thought it was just diesel in the system being burned off. Still doing it when up to speed and heat (granted only done 10miles). No obvious lack of power turbo still seems to be doing it's job. Pulled into a local garage (very local one man job) he said it's burning oil keep an eye on the level. But what can it be? I need the van for everyday stuff and will be doing 600miles over the next week. Will i kill it? Doesn't run rough seems ok.

Help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh aye definitely smoke. It's James Bond like behind me at times.

Is it possibly water in the diesel? Got a puff of black when i gave it some higher revs. It's not constant either goes from pouring out to nothing. Oil level is fine.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
White smoke is unburnt diesel, which you will probably get this weather whilst the engine is so cold. It should disappear once warmed up though.

If it's burning oil, then it will be blue smoke.

If it's struggling to start, maybe you need new glowplugs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Local garage/mate reckons that it's just the extreme cold. Either waxing or ice crystals from the water trap. Seems to have stopped for now. Slightly worried as I'm heading to a place of lower temps for hogmanay.

·
Registered
439 Posts
When was the last oil change? As oil gets old, its gets thicker so very, very, very sluggish to start in extreme weather conditions. Get it changed for some good oil, fully synthetic, and then see how you go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.