VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
White SWB T5 full camper conversion build thread

So with the caravan sold and the piggy bank topped up, also the car to be sold in the future, we set about searching for a T5 campervan. Then saw how much they really are ££££. :eek:
Back to the drawing board, could we get a van and do it or some of it ourselves??:confused:

So after finding this forum and hours of research the search was on. A SWB T5 panel van.

This is the one we settled on. 59reg, white, T28, aerial and satelite installer, 78k miles, owner was the only driver since new and had to fund fuel/servicing so was immaculate on the inside and mechanically sound.

SWB as it will eventually replace the family car, Not T5.1 as they are out of our price range, considering full conversion. No electric or air con as it seems we could spend a year searching.

We set about removing the bulkhead, shelving/panelling.

Next task was to flashband and insulate.

Also the the panels cut to shape from 3.4mm ply sheets.

Couldn't do to much more at this stage as it went away for an elevating roof and windows. Could finish insulating and start carpet lining when it returned, then we would have more of an idea how and where needed doing.

Really pleased with the work Paul and his team done at Mewies Ltd. https://www.facebook.com/mewiesmotorhomes?fref=ts. Great set up in Surrey and competitively priced.

Before.

During.

After.

Also sourced a crash tested bed from them.

Now back a few more jobs to do, next, split charging system from travelvolts, speakers in rear, wiring in rear of van.

Then work gets in the way. Will keep posting as I go. Any comments are welcome as I'm still only a novice.
And any advice will be very much welcomed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
is that an OZ developments bed with pheumatic assist?

What do you think to it? I'm just having one fitted, along with a pop top roofs uk roof...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

What do you think to it? I'm just having one fitted, along with a pop top roofs uk roof...
The bed is a certified one from pop top roofs UK with gas strut. Won't be fitted just yet, but pleased with elevating roof.
I'd be interested to know what you think. I've got little experience and nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The bed is a certified one from pop top roofs UK with gas strut. Won't be fitted just yet, but pleased with elevating roof.
I'd be interested to know what you think. I've got little experience and nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Continueing with the carpeting. Only managing to put a few hours in here and there. Suprising how time consuming it can be. First time though, and probably the last.

Had to run a cable for LED light strip after carpeting. Not to much of problem using a soldering iron to burn hole in carpet, drilling hole and using a cable draw to pull cable through.

Just one of the problems with getting the elevating roof fitted and not aware of new metal work surround. Unable to forward plan.

Finished the framework, just need to locate holes for panels and cut/burn holes for locating panel fixing trim clips.

We have now finished and panels are in place. Will take and post photo's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Floor now down, used two sheets of 8x4 WPB ply. Join made to one side of van hopefully under units. Scewed down with counter sunk self tappers.
Altro slate coloured vinyl stuck down with high temp glue.

And a layer of thermal foil bubble wrap.

Sorry for photo, loaded van with kitchen appliances and the like, ready for units.

Looks a bit green in photo, but doesn't normally.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're doing some very nice work - keep on sharing it with us T:
Nice conversion mate , it almost looks like your a pro at this !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great build, it's coming along really well. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

Cheers for your comments.

McPear, thanks for your answer, to the unit question. I'm also thinking of colour coding and your van looks good, Woking is not too far from me if I can't find any local.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took the van to campershack in Bournemouth yesterday to have units fitted and seat/bed secured through floor. Spencer Brown (forum name on here) has just started out on his own. Highly recommended. He has good relations with ego design and managed to get them to change one of there designs to suit my van. Longer worktop and shorter rear locker.

Van dropped off at the paint shop today so more photos to follow.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts