VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls,

I picked up my LWB van a few weeks ago. See http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=317916 for more info and a few "before" pictures.

The interior had been bodged together by the previous owner and after debating with myself on whether I could live with that the answer was no.

So most of it came out and I was just a carpeted van.

The first thing I did was to clean the floor (well I say me, more like the Mrs T:) Next was to cut my 9mm ply board to fit the floor panel. I managed to just used 1 piece of 6x2. Once this had bonded (I used no more nails) I started to flash band the flooring.

I had to cut around the original VW boards for the sides above the wheel arches as the previous guy had just carpeted straight over all the boards.

After I had finished I checked over the quality of the carpeting around the metalwork and found that it had only been stuck on at the edges - the middle parts were not glued.

So this meant I took down all of the carpeting. A bit of a pain, but I suppose I could re-use parts of the old carpet for lining other things. A quick question though - what is the best for getting off the existing glue and carpet fibers? I looks like someone has sprayed glue to all the panels then thrown a massive bucket of pubes inside!!

Anyways on with the task in hand. I flashbanded the wheelarches and made a start on the roof and the side panels before I ran out.

I then took down the existing roof and have started to run my lighting cables.

Whilst the weather was good for a few hours I decided to fit my new parking sensor kit which was £11.95 from ebay. Been in since Sunday and no issues - for now!

Barn doors are being fitted tomorrow aswell so looking forward to that.

Finally......a thread is worthless without pics so I will get some on here ASAP.

Many thanks and watch this space.

Matt

·
Registered
347 Posts
So this meant I took down all of the carpeting. A bit of a pain, but I suppose I could re-use parts of the old carpet for lining other things. A quick question though - what is the best for getting off the existing glue and carpet fibers?
Hi Matt, white spirit will dissolve the old glue, I imagine it will be slow and painful getting it off though. Good luck mate, I'm sure it will be worth the effort to get a good final finish. T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Matt, white spirit will dissolve the old glue, I imagine it will be slow and painful getting it off though. Good luck mate, I'm sure it will be worth the effort to get a good final finish. T:
Thanks bud. Will get on that this weekend then T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update - again without pictures, though I have just got a new phone so will bombard this post with pictures soon I promise!

I have had rear windows fitted to the barn doors courtesy of Cascade Conversions. Rob and co are extremely helpful and very friendly. I can't praise them enough and I will be a returning customer! Plus I had a very lovely cup of tea!! Thanks guys T:

I won't write a list of things I have done over the last week until I take my photos :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as promised here is a few pictures as promised.

Here are the barn doors kindly fitted by Cascade Conversions as mentioned above. I've had to post the direct link as imageshack didn't compress the photo when I uploaded it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/5067/xkt3.JPG

Wind deflectors fitted

Side bars fitted

Sound proofing and made a start on insulating

More sound proofing

You can see ive started to run my cables in this one

Lifted the 12mm ply up to show my sound flashbanding. Have I gone a bit OTT with this?

Where my Sony XAV-601BT lives

Fitted some foglights from ebay, have put in some LEDS and wired them up as DRLs. They are on here but its quite hard to see due to the sun.

http://imageshack.us/a/img30/2410/5sr.gif

And finally I fitted a MK4 golf interior light. I have put a red LED bulb in the main light. Just need to do the passenger and drivers lights. My reasoning for red is that it doesn't affect your vision when they are on at night.

My carpet and glue turned up today. I only ordered it yesterday! Thanks Megavanmats! Will start carpeting this weekend. I need to get started on cleaning the metalwork of the existing glue and carpet fluff.

Also had my new screenwash pump turn up today so I fitted that. I managed to join the damaged pipe by the corner of the bonnet by using heatshrink. So far so good. Hopefully it will last T:

Matt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bud :) once it's carpeted and I've put the vinyl floor down (not ordered that yet) it should start looking the part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's been nearly 4 months since I have been on and given an update. Work has been super busy and I am in the process of starting up a second business.

Quite alot has been done to the van since my last update however all of that had been done before xmas. Nothing has been done in 2014 though that's going to change end of this month I hope.

Right where to start....

First job after the flash-banding and insulating was to order the ply panels. The sides were from a local conversion company and the roof was from ebay. I will say the only downside to ordering from ebay was that part of one of the corners was completely demolished form transport. Not a big problem as I managed to patch it up fairly easy.

Whilst waiting for the ply panels to be made/delivered I ordered a Sony head unit from Absolut5 and also a cheap reversing camera from fleabay. No pic of headunit yet but here is the camera. Cost me less than £20 and is perfect. Only set back is the salt has corroded the outer shell so will whip that off over summer and re-coat it.

Next was to order the lining carpet from mega van mats. All positives from them, extremely helpful and prompt delivery. Once the carpet and the glue arrived (BTW I still have 4 cans left after completing the van - bit of useless information) I started with the inside of the van...

Then moved onto the side panels and roof. I also plumbed in blue leds for mood lighting aswell as three white leds for main lighting.

After that I decided to install some DRLs. I have got them coming on with ignition (obviously I:) and coming off with the dipped beam. I bought all the parts separately of fleabay which totaled £21 as apposed to buying the premade kit with wiring kit for around £45. This did mean that I has to drill the existing bumper parts.

Decided on a few cosmetic trinkets next so ordered "R" badges front and back and a sticker for the window. If you have a "my stick figure family" sticker on your bus DONT get offended its only a bit of banter! I just had to buy it as it tickled me.

Finally the latest things I had done was a "U" shaped seat/bed system custom made by Mahonhicks camper conversions up Merthyr way. Faultless craftsmanship and I dealt with Kerri who is a top bloke! Really helpful and has advised me on alot of things. They also fitted my Altro flooring for me as I had a nightmare trying to do that on my own!

I also purchased a prosport coilover kit. Having issues with it at the moment as the back end is slammed however the front is still high (granted this isnt the best pic to show what I mean). Not sure if this is a common problem with this kit. Taking it to my mate next week so I get his verdict on it.

Next stage are cushions for the seat/bed. Hopefully it wont be four months until I post an update

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts