VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah I totally agree, this looks wicked and the white lettering is a win! ;) I had an idea to do ATs on my van but it's just not evolved that way... Love it :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I love mine, did my first big trip this weekend:

The road noise is slightly louder with no music on but once you have background noise its gone. It sounds like an aeroplane landing when I have the windows down though :D (I did loose my sticky wheel weights once up to 70 on the motorway I guess they must not have cleaned the surface from the new powder coating, so that's next weekends job).

Cornering is affected slightly with more sidewall but im used to it now.

I did notice I was loosing power slightly on motorway hills so I remap might be in order.

These slight issues are barely worth mentioning when I can bounce about the tracks to get to decent wild camp places without worrying about damaging wheels or getting stuck (within reason). I would say they are a close runner up to fitting my webasto heater!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I'm in the club.... 225/75/16s on standard steelies.

General Grabber AT2s..... now replace by the less aggressive AT but this size is carrying on in AT2 apparently.

No problems so far... just all the comments like Can't you afford alloys! Lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
My new alloys arrived. I was about to order tyres. I can save about £100 by opting for AT2s but can't decide. AT2s look just as good with lettering, it's a must as far as I am concerned but BFGs are probably a better tyre.
TBH, it's all in the on road wet performance for me !
Any thoughts...?T:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Look good boys, was going to take my alloys off and put my steelies back on for the winter, was planning to get winter tyres think I may may go down the all terrain route having seen the picks, always had 4x4s before the van and got a soft spot for them! I:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
My new alloys arrived. I was about to order tyres. I can save about £100 by opting for AT2s but can't decide. AT2s look just as good with lettering, it's a must as far as I am concerned but BFGs are probably a better tyre.
TBH, it's all in the on road wet performance for me !
Any thoughts...?T:
They have to perform to a certain standard by law... They may struggle from 100mph but then I drive like ur gran stole it so not a worry for me :)

As for the lettering I'm buying a tyre pen to fill my lettering in like the BF's.

You're other option is the newer Grabber AT's which have a less aggressive off road pattern so probably work slightly better in the wet?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had AT 2's on my Discovery 2 and they were a very competent tire, exelent grip on wet roads quiter by lots of decibels than these bloody awful van tyres I have inherited with my T5 purchase. Rescued my daughter after ill advised trips to Sheffield in blizzards and got me off fishing syndicates after being locked in via farmers fields and flood defences..

When I get these spare 16's banded they will be going on the 4motion, I miss the quiet life..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Might be worth considering Cooper AT3 tyres. I have them on my defender. They look great and work extremely well off road. They're a lot cheaper than General Grabbers and BFGs. And they have excellent reviews.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
They have to perform to a certain standard by law... They may struggle from 100mph but then I drive like ur gran stole it so not a worry for me :)

As for the lettering I'm buying a tyre pen to fill my lettering in like the BF's.

You're other option is the newer Grabber AT's which have a less aggressive off road pattern so probably work slightly better in the wet?
Guys.

I can see you touched on the topic here, but I am hunting for some advice.
I am planning to take off my summer alloys, and put some winter steelies on. I like the look of the all terrain tyres.

Here's my question - What do they perform like on tarmac ? i.e. I travel 120miles every day for work.
At 1 part in my journey I drop off the motorway onto an A-road, carrying about 60mph around a slip road off. Can all terrains handle this type of driving or will I be all over the place ??
Whilst on a "private motorway of mine I:" I do 80mph. Will these tyres cope ?

Thanks for any info you guys can offer.

Regards

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys.

I can see you touched on the topic here, but I am hunting for some advice.
I am planning to take off my summer alloys, and put some winter steelies on. I like the look of the all terrain tyres.

Here's my question - What do they perform like on tarmac ? i.e. I travel 120miles every day for work.
At 1 part in my journey I drop off the motorway onto an A-road, carrying about 60mph around a slip road off. Can all terrains handle this type of driving or will I be all over the place ??
Whilst on a "private motorway of mine I:" I do 80mph. Will these tyres cope ?

Thanks for any info you guys can offer.

Regards

If you regularly are sitting at 80 mph and you want this look, I would avoid the bfgoodrich as they are more A/T focused as opposed to the general grabbers which I gather are quieter and more road focused. The grip on the Bfgoodrich has been exzcellent so far! I do 250 miles a week. I may be going slower than before though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you driving any slower ?
Just had a 2. 4 cturbo conversion done aswell, so the van has been like a new toy. In a week it does seem as if I have used slightly more fuel than I am used too. I need too get my fuel pump modified with a lda. Seemingly this will help with boost and mpg.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I put a pair of Godyear Cargo Vectors on my T32 130 the mpg dropped from 36-37 to 34-35. (running av over 15000 before and after...) These are quite tame compared some of those in pics, I shudder to think what their mpg is.

I found these were about the only "normal" all year M&S tyre available on the load rating- there are loads of sexy SUV tyres but they dont have 104T I need, and I know from bitter experience I don't want the 109T rating rattling my teeth out.
Is anyone running the SUV weight 96's on lighter vans?

1 - 20 of 675 Posts