VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a T30 TDi 130 4Motion and the road tyres are due an upgrade. I'd like to go with an 80/20 Road/AT tyre but hardly anything seems to be available with ratings above 100.

To be honest I'm not even sure what rating I need and it does not help that one pair of tyres I bought the van with are 106/104T and the others are 109s.

Any thoughts?:*

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When I put a pair of Godyear Cargo Vectors on my T32 130 the mpg dropped from 36-37 to 34-35. (running av over 15000 before and after...) These are quite tame compared some of those in pics, I shudder to think what their mpg is.

I found these were about the only "normal" all year M&S tyre available on the load rating- there are loads of sexy SUV tyres but they dont have 104T I need, and I know from bitter experience I don't want the 109T rating rattling my teeth out.
Is anyone running the SUV weight 96's on lighter vans?

I usually get between 500 and 540 from full to reserve, the mph reading change is around 10 - 12 % lower than normal reading because of the increased rolling circumference, I now have put a full tank through and allowing for the adjustment am getting 520 this time round, but I am likely driving more conservatively to compensate. So I have found there is no huge difference in mpg, you are still pulling 2 tonne plus around regardless of the rubber rolling it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Finally got the alloys fitted up with BFG's- 235/70-16's ...and Im glad i didnt go any bigger TBH. :eek:
They fill the arch well and look great..so far so good. Thanks for the input people ! T:
I'll try and put up b4 & fter pics when I get a chance !

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got the alloys fitted up with BFG's- 235/70-16's ...and Im glad i didnt go any bigger TBH. :eek:
They fill the arch well and look great..so far so good. Thanks for the input people ! T:
I'll try and put up b4 & fter pics when I get a chance !
They are enormous when you first get them, Im looking forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Might be worth considering Cooper AT3 tyres. I have them on my defender. They look great and work extremely well off road. They're a lot cheaper than General Grabbers and BFGs. And they have excellent reviews.

I'll second that! I'm getting them for my Freelander in 225/75/16 then the same on my T5 later. I've had Coopers before and they're very good.

·
Registered
259 Posts
They are enormous when you first get them, Im looking forward to the pictures.
Theres not alot of room to spare. Mine has a lower valance fitted ( splitter) which actually wraps around the front quarters and reduces arch depth at the bottom...
The fitters struggled to get the tires to fill enough with air to grab the rims and seal... Perseverance paid off here. The rims are well shaped for this actually but I was not prepared for how much "bagging around" the wheels did inside the tyres at first. I:
The guy running the place had to come and ask twice if I wanted them on my van, so convinced was he that there was not a snowflakes chance in hell they would shoehorn under the arches. As someone noted before me, he basically thought I was nutz !! :*

Not mine 18's seen here... ( I had standard steels which looked a bit pants !) - but a "before"

And after..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm loving the look of AT tyres:ILU: I want to join but the thing i'm worried about is i carry some weight in my t30 for work and these types of tyres dont seem to go upto 8ply so they might end up like pancakes with the weight in the back:eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
My rears are 8J, like the fronts. Id like only 10mm as it all adds leverage through the hubs and struts...!
BTW- they are well within spec load rating wise, although they do differ just by spec..so BFG's 235/75 are different to BFG's 235/70's for example..
I did quite abit of background research..my wheels are 1300kgs a corner ! Rasp:
Not to underrate the feedback from others on here but hey; Google it- what can I say !? :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My rears are 8J, like the fronts. Id like only 10mm as it all adds leverage through the hubs and struts...!
BTW- they are well within spec load rating wise, although they do differ just by spec..so BFG's 235/75 are different to BFG's 235/70's for example..
I did quite abit of background research..my wheels are 1300kgs a corner ! Rasp:
Not to underrate the feedback from others on here but hey; Google it- what can I say !? :D
Are you sure they are not rated 104 which is 900kg per corner, or have I got it wrong?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Pic of mine on tbe beach.... hopefully get round to putting standard springs back on the front and 20mm spacers on in the next month... then new graphics of some.sort to reflect the new style :)

21 - 40 of 651 Posts