VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Tyres 104(s) (900KGS & 112mph IIRC!) Wheels 1300kg
T32 max axle load = 1720 kgs..so BGF's at 1800kgs are rated..
Now if you carry more than this, tyres arent your only problem ...! :no

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey, where did you get your alloys Tim? i'm struggling to find 16 x 8 van alloys.. though i have found some 16 x 7.5s think I'm going to go for along with BFG 235/70/16s. cheers :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
18" 255 Grabber AT's
Up and down farmers fields and rough tracks and no rubbing yet! Been on since June.
Loads quieter than standard van tyres that ran at 60psi !

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Looking good,
I've had 245/70/16 bfg AT on my van for a few years now, loads of pics in my build thread.

I would stay well away from banded wheels with these tyres though having been through two sets of cracked wheels. I just don't think they can cope with the large tyres.

Im on the lookout for some replacement wheels (again!) now.
Be interesting to know if you are running the higher load 16inch steels though mate...

You do realise that the 16 and 17 inch steels come in the same size,but 2 different et,s and load ratings...the lower load ones will be know good to have banded due to lower grade of steel..

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
To be honest I'm not sure which ones mine were.
You will need to check the wheel et!...

The wheels wil also have the load stamped on then if they are the higher ones...look in the centre of the wheels...they will be stamped with the weight...if no sign of this.then you have the lower load ones...

These would be fine as standard steels.but not when banded

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm about to, just taking forever to make up my mind on which wheels and tyres. Gona order them this weekend so hopefully by this time next week I'll have ATs on my LWB.. most likely BFG 235/70/16s as love the look of the ones with pics on here.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looking at the cooper tyres site im trying to get my head around whether any of them would fit staright onto my standard steels (16")
or how to make sense of their load rating system.

any thoughts? Link here

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
You will need to check the wheel et!...

The wheels wil also have the load stamped on then if they are the higher ones...look in the centre of the wheels...they will be stamped with the weight...if no sign of this.then you have the lower load ones...

These would be fine as standard steels.but not when banded
How much higher load are they than the non stamped ones then?

·
Registered
667 Posts
They must be a lot higher as I've gone through two sets of standard banded steels and they have all cracked.
Makes you wonder why they would do two types :*
That's what I was thinking, I had no idea there where anything but one type of 16" t5 steel.

2 cracked sets and many £££ later and I'm pretty annoyed!

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Too right, I did notice the last set of 17" bandeds I sold had the 950kg stamp on them:*
Surely they would crack in standard form too if not suitable?

41 - 60 of 651 Posts