VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

621 - 640 of 676 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Rolling size is the same (y)
Problem would start if you tried to fit a overall size that didn't work with your suspension
Can't find the picture since forum change but Alistair did have a picture on his thread of a 16 with a 215 65 16 on it next to a 16 with a 235 70 16 on it and you wouldn't believe the size difference!
I have 225 70 16 now and next to the 215 65 16 they where a lot bigger
With standard t30 suspension i have 70mm arch clearance (front ) unlaiden
For folk who run bigger wheels i would guess that theres not going to be much choice of AT tyres as they tend not to make low profile AT tyres for obvious reasons

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Be interesting to see the difference. i'm running 215/65/17 road tyres at the mo which clear fine with my current set up .... now i can buy 225/65/17 AT's so in theory there shouldn't be much difference at all .....but in reality??

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I wouldnt trust my local shop with a 2nd hand pushbike ... :LOL:.
I can order the tyres in to my old workshop and fit them myself .....its just 150 mile away :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Well you know where i live b&t its not exactly central London and there's 20+ independent tyre shops within 20 miles I'm sure you can find a good one or at least one good enough to look/compare tyres at ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
What wheels were on it Bill ??
Was it lifted ?
looked standard ride height going off pics in this thread, going To have a quick search for the wheels, they weren’t the standard 17” steels, but had that kind of look about them.

similar to these, wish I’d paid more attention now ?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Rolling size is the same (y)
Problem would start if you tried to fit a overall size that didn't work with your suspension
Can't find the picture since forum change but Alistair did have a picture on his thread of a 16 with a 215 65 16 on it next to a 16 with a 235 70 16 on it and you wouldn't believe the size difference!
I have 225 70 16 now and next to the 215 65 16 they where a lot bigger
With standard t30 suspension i have 70mm arch clearance (front ) unlaiden
For folk who run bigger wheels i would guess that theres not going to be much choice of AT tyres as they tend not to make low profile AT tyres for obvious reasons
This may help:

The 235/70/16 on my van are close to the inner, there is a exhaust shield which is only a finger width away,, but this could be adjusted if needed, I haven’t bothered...

If it ever stops raining I can get some pictures underneath next time I’m about the van.....

cheers,

alistair

·
Registered
388 Posts
So does anyone currently run AT's on lowered suspension? Wondering if the inner arch clearance on lock is an issue ?
I stumbled upon, t5 upgrades on Facebook the other night, full of swampers, and black rhino wheels ( god there nice ) it’s worth a look mate, a t5/6 running bilstein b14’s and AT wheels, pretty low, looks tidy ?

621 - 640 of 676 Posts