VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

661 - 668 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi Bill. Choices choices I know what you mean. You may have read this before, the 16” steels BFG a/t 235/70/16 was definitely the best ride on my T5. Will be getting similar setup on my Crafter.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I probably have read it and forgotton it

Good to hear though, hoping to get these steelies next week, but will be a good while off till I'm putting tyres on them, saying that anything could happen in the mean time haha

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm running 19" Disco wheels with 255/55/19 AT's and no rubbing with 20mm spacers. (Couldn't tell you the offset) :*

However, where is it rubbing? If it's the inner edge of the tyre, spacers will help but if it's the outer edge of the tyre, spacers could make it worse as it will exaggerate the offset.

When they were on my 1.9 (Second pic, same setup now on my 4motion)

Better van... Worse picture I:

Could you please insert pics one more time
Cheers

28 Posts
Umm, I see I failed to respond to that BitterandTwisted. Apologies.

So, the BFG's on the original Davenports did rub on full lock on the inner arch liner. Not a lot, but they did slightly rub. Even with an approx 30mm lift spring fitted.

Since then I've changed the wheels out for some proper AT wheels from Twin Monotube Projekt. These have an ET of 40. I think the Davenports are 56. The wheels sit further out and look much nicer down the line of the van. Also the rub on full lock has completely gone, which of course you'd expect being a top end AT wheel from Germany with TUV rating designed and made especially for the Transporter. Admittedly that is tested with a 235/65/17 tyre, but pretty close to what I'm running.
I would like to know at what height you can go down to with the BFG's before experiencing rub on lock, but of course it will depend on the wheel offset and dimensions of the tyre factored in.

Few snaps below of the current set up.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Hi Bret
Can i ask what are you useing to change the colour of your tyre lettering bud ?
I want to lift my van at some point ( when cash is spare) are the 25mm spacer kits that are on Ebay any good would/do you fit spacer kits ? Or is it best to go full on £1000 35mm new shocks springs ?
Im only up the road from you in troon will keep an eye out for your very distinctive and nice bus 👍

28 Posts
Hi Bret
Can i ask what are you useing to change the colour of your tyre lettering bud ?
I want to lift my van at some point ( when cash is spare) are the 25mm spacer kits that are on Ebay any good would/do you fit spacer kits ? Or is it best to go full on £1000 35mm new shocks springs ?
Im only up the road from you in troon will keep an eye out for your very distinctive and nice bus 👍 View attachment 179855
Hi Stuart,
Used to live just down the road from you in Beacon.
Just a cheap tyre pen of ebay mate. Different colours available.
I've not personally used the spacers. A cheaper alternative for sure but not sure how nice a drive that would give. Standard springs can be pretty wollowy at the best of times so I wouldn't be surprised if it drove like a jelly mould with lifting the centre of gravity higher in a something like a camper. Maybe someone on here has tried them and can give you a better idea?
The lift springs we use from Eibach are designed and tested with TUV for standard dampers. Very stable at speed and minimal body roll even in fast corners with a very heavy electric roof on top. They are not over firm, giving a nice ride comfort. Of course to get the best set up is to upgrade the shocks or dampers especially if they are well worn and rebound is tired. The Bilstein B6 comforts are an upgraded damper, have a longer piston stroke so are perfectly suitable for lift springs. We should also soon have some lift specific Koni dampers which we think will be an incredible setup that can be used with standard springs and the Eibach lift springs.
Welcome to call or pop in sometime. Will show you the setup.
Kind regards,
Brett.

661 - 668 of 668 Posts