VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lulu, my 2003 T4 had been 'stored' for over 3 years ................. now that I've used the 'old' Diesel that was still in the tank, I decided to treat her :giggle:
As you can well imagine I had a lot of smoke when I first used her, really really white smoke! it looked more like steam actually. Having used all the 'old' diesel' I put new Diesel in ( about half a tank ) and drove around aimlessly for days, even did a bit of 'Italian Tuning'! Did another top up .................. result, a few weeks later and no more smoke ( white or black! )

After my research I bought a 500ml bottle of 'Stanadyne Performance Formula' Diesel additive, considered to be the best on the market. As recommended by many automotive manufactures, including VW. I guess it's pretty much the same stuff as RAKE sells on here known as 'Diesel Rhino'. But he wouldn't ship it to France anyway. As I'm as daft as a bag of spanners when it come to engines, would you say that 100ml per tank fill ( 70 litres ) would be enough?

I can't find any instructions anywhere, but the 500ml bottle says 'its good for 250 Litres'. So that would equate to 100ml per 50 litre tank. I assume that there would be a point that you would dilute the formula too much. Anybody got any experience with this stuff?

TURK

·
Registered
757 Posts
I tend to use absolutely no additive in any diesel that i own, best thing to use is a few ounces of chainsaw 2 stroke mineral oil or decent regular diesel from busy fuel stations ! Our old VE engines are tough as old boots, its the new CR engines that are susceptible to poor quality fuel as they use piezo injectors and high pressure pumps...

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
I was recommended Dipetane by a man who has been in the motor trade for a few years .
He runs a fleet of vans and swears by it .
£40 from flea bay gets you 5 litres .
I used the lot ....can't say i noticed any difference performance wise and our van doesnt smoke anyway so no change there but figured it can't hurt so why not 🙃 .

·
Registered
749 Posts
I always use the shell higher grade diesel in mine. vmax I think they call it. Not sure it does any good but it makes me feel better.
When I was younger I worked Saturdays in an old fashioned garage on the petrol pumps. they used to have 2star 3star and 4 star years later a 5 star grade. this was before unleaded. yes I know I am old.

·
Registered
367 Posts
they used to have 2star 3star and 4 star years later a 5 star grade.
Those star ratings refer to the octane rating, which related to how high/low the compression rating was on the PETROL engine. High compression meant tendency for the engine to 'pink' with low octane petrol, so higher octane petrol was needed. The stars were not an issue of quality at all ... just a way to match to the higher performance, higher compression engines.

A lot of people spend a lot more money buying branded petrol/diesel, when the supermarket stuff is just as good and comes from exactly the same refineries as the branded stuff. (I have a very good friend in the industry who sees this as a fact almost daily.) Some buy supermarket petrol/diesel and then add an additive, the result of which ends up costing as much as the branded stuff. Others (like me) just use the cheap supermarket stuff. Touching wood, I can honestly say that I've never had an issue with the supermarket fuel. I get good consumption, no smoke, and no clogged EGRs or DPFs.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
Ours runs differently on esso fuel .....might be all in my head ..but it does!! 😁
I'm sure theres a difference in octane / cetane ratings .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts