VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Girls,

As per title, who's your European breakdown cover with and how much? My UK cover is with the AA and they quoted me £189, which after umming a little they brought down to £168 which seemed more reasonable - whilst I appreciate recovery costs would be much more costly, proportionately the time spent abroad is going to be far less therefore it was a little more than I expected!!! Am I just a tight so and so or will I find a better deal?!!

Thank you :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Guys and Girls,

As per title, who's your European breakdown cover with and how much? My UK cover is with the AA and they quoted me £189, which after umming a little they brought down to £168 which seemed more reasonable - whilst I appreciate recovery costs would be much more costly, proportionately the time spent abroad is going to be far less therefore it was a little more than I expected!!! Am I just a tight so and so or will I find a better deal?!!

Thank you :)
Hi Sam,

Mine is through my insurance and is around £60 or £80 quid on my premium for full eu cover. I have had to use it as well, the last time I was on my back from France. Think I may have mentioned this in one of my other post.

Have a look at this I posted the other day and make sure you read all the small print.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=230764

Have you done a compare the market for this?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya, hmmm I thought the AA price was quite steep, will call my insurers tomorrow and see what they can do. Compare the market is on my 'to do' list. Yes I read that, essentially any type of insurance is a nightmare as they seem to write their own rules. Cheers :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies, will check out all the options today :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm with Safeguard campervan insurance and get full European breakdown AA cover included in insurance price...which isn't that much more than twice your AA quote.
Me too, <£390 for the year for a camper with declared value of £27k. Thankfully haven't had to use it...

·
Registered
286 Posts
ADAC has got to be the best. If you break down in the uk the AA come out to you. It also covers you for medical and they even have their own planes and helicopters to move injured or ill people. Our cover with them is only about £90 for the year and covers the whole of europe for me and my wife driving anything. The size restrictions on caravans are also alot larger than the uk breakdown providers who dont cover twin axles.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Unfortunately I had cause to use my European cover in anger this summer - my DMF disintegrated so it was a trailer home job.

I had cover with the AA (did think it was costly but went for it knowing their UK service is good as I have an old land rover and use them often...) and I have to say their service was absolutely 100% first rate T:

As we were camping I was worried about getting back, we also had the pooch with us. They made a horrible experience very bearable, recovery truck turned on quickly on the Monday morning, they provide a translation service by phone, taxi to the hire car pick up, hire car to calais, swap into a uk registered car in Calais, drive onto the ferry, drive home. They also made sure the cars were big enough for what we wanted to bring home and for the dog (lab). They kept us informed all the way through by calling us. We didn't use a hotel as we went to stay with friends instead but they were prepared to book us one. The van got home 7 days later totally fine and no damage.

It's possible other insurers are just as good and maybe use the same people, but I couldn't fault the AA and the trouble with insurers is when you need them, you're in a position of vulnerability so you want them to perform. Personally I'll stick with them even though they're more expensive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We pay an extra £13 a month with our current account to get a whole host of things including breakdown cover, which includes Europe, worlwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance etc.
The breakdown cover is RAC, which covers the driver (or 2 drivers as it is a joint account) for any vehicle they own. I think you are paying way over the odds.
Have already had them out for a homestart, as flat battery due to my father leaving the fridge connected to the van battery, and the guy was great.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We pay an extra £13 a month with our current account to get a whole host of things including breakdown cover, which includes Europe, worlwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance etc.
The breakdown cover is RAC, which covers the driver (or 2 drivers as it is a joint account) for any vehicle they own. I think you are paying way over the odds.
Have already had them out for a homestart, as flat battery due to my father leaving the fridge connected to the van battery, and the guy was great.
Actually my wife's reminded me we've just switched to this - RAC is a good enough name for us and it's a cheaper way of doing it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts