VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...with grey acoustic carpet!?
I don't mean to be funny but why are so many vans the same in this scene? I can't work it out.
People seem to strive to line everything in the back of their vans in grey/black acoustic carpet...just like everyone else!

I've recently switched from the aircooled scene and what I loved there was almost everyone feels the need to make their vehicle their own, add their own personality. Where as in the world of T4s, everyone appears reluctant to stand out (I know there are a few out there who have by the way). It's far more conservative.

Why is this?
Is it because there is so much plastic in our vans that it is simply easier? Or, is it, as I have mentioned...the fact that people are far more pedestrian in this scene? Or (controversially), is it that generally T4/T5 owners tend to be older and more mature?

Thoughts anyone...

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I have Grey Carpet and Grey Vinyl interior. And Rainbow Metal Flake paint.

The cab area is pretty much grey, so without painting it all or flocking it, grey matches.

Outside is a blank canvas.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I like grey, and my vans blue. Grey and blue look good together :dunno:

Im 26 and definately not pedestrian, or mature LOL:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
LOL: How many vans have you seen?!
Here's mine, i assure you there is no plastic and no acoustic lineing here LOL:
Looks a little different now but you get the idea :D side pannels are now black vinyl but roof lineing is still the same.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
LOL - actually, I think the answer for some of us is far more simple.

Back when I did my van, you only had the choice of dark or light grey in the unbacked carpet (at least, to my knowledge!!). That's why I 'tried' to be different with my 'urban camo' headlining.....

If I was retrimming the van now, I'd use one of the brighter colours from Mark at Megavanmats.

You do have a point though - there does seem to be a degree of 'conservatism' around - but I'd take issue in it being that different from the aircooled 'scene' as I see lots of similar traits to this website as I did on JK a few years ago - so maybe there's just been a degree of migration??

I think there's many factors that influence such an 'understated' approach - but there's no doubt that potential resale value probably scores as highly in the T4 market as it does in the house market - with 'neutral' finishes making selling on easier.........

:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did mine in grey carpet purely because of simplicity and cost, I would love to fit styleline panels, but couldnt justify the cost....
Plus i,m getting on a bit LOL:
If money wasnt an issue, I would have gone with cream leather everything I:

but suppose it could be said I followed the crowd

·
Registered
683 Posts
The rear of mine is lined with black vinyl, Ikea units with gloss red doors, although I'll soon be ripping it all out & starting again with a full set of caravelle plastics that I'll be painting before installing.

It's not just the T4 scene though bud, what you're describing is the grey & fake wood syndrome that you'll find not just in vdubs but all the way from splitties right over to the huge coachbuilt things. Not my cup of tea, but if it makes the owner happy then that's all that counts.

·
Formerly known as boscombesurfer
1,315 Posts
Is it not just simply because carpet can be cut and joined so as not to show, so easy to fit. Like to see how others have trimmed in other than carpet, especially around windows and the like. Havnt done mine yet. :cool:

10,824 Posts
Mine is ivory leather headling throughout, red wine leather units, burgandy carpet with ivory leather over panels......lots of sounds, no bloody alloys and definately not the norm or at least it won't be when finished! :cool:

and i'm almost getting on a bit! LOL:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Went for dark grey/black as my ravin/acid days are well over:D
Sleep well at night with no trippinT:
Whats your van got, pink with blue spots-so yesterdayRasp:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well i think the aircooled are the ones that are older and boring with their samba's which look as they did from factory and ovals and the pre 67 clubs only and your beetle isnt old enuff to park by us

God forbid a football or frizby going astray and hitting one lol

oh before you flame me to the ground i own a 23 samba several beetles a hoodride 3000 capri !!

and of coarse my beloved t5 T:T:

Works both ways depends where and what shows you go to T:

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
and of coarse my beloved t5 T:T:

You need to change your avatar Dave (Team White now):ILU:

·
Registered
161 Posts
The reason for acoustic carpet is that it gets round all the corners and can be manipulated to fit the curves on the expose metaletc.. where as the ribbed stuff although the color range is better it just doesn't stretch as well and can look a bit sketchy if u make a mistake...

The most common colours of acoustic are black and grey so don't think their is any real mystery it's just whats available.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's interesting reading peoples reactions to that, debate is healthy so no need for anyone to get offended.

I just found it odd that there are so many similar vans, and not many breaking the mould (I have been proved pleasantly wrong by the pics). Someone was probably correct in saying that it might making selling on easier, but as all sorts customise vans, there are similar sorts that would buy said vans surely?

And by customise or mod your interior, I didn't necessarily mean that everyone should get all '1969' colourwise, I meant different finishes, materials and colours. So if anyone else wants to post pics up here of what they consider to be an interesting interior...let's have a look!

But then if anyone wants more debate, let's have a bit of that too!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts