VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read plenty of threads on the 5th gear mod (which im gonna do asap) but why on earth would vw sell a van that is revving at 3000rpm at 65mph? Had they great joy of driving 100 miles to busfest with 6 mates, with them cruising happily at 70-75 and im flogging the guts out of my 2.5 ajt to keep up. Any answers greatfully received T:T:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've no idea why they didn't put a bigger overdrive On it either.
Though my AJT is more like an indicated 75ish for 3000rpm. Bu even that is still too high. This weekends 500 mile drive across France at 85mph for the ferry was horrendous!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange thing is my mates 2.5 ajt seems to have a much longer 5th gear, I know its possible it's had the mod done (although unlikely). wheel wise im running 17's but the rolling circumference is the same as on standard steels.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My AJT Caravelle is showing 2,750 rpm at an indicated 70 mph. The Scat Nav shows 67 mph.

Is it possible that the Velle is differently geared to the van? 88 bhp, Blue I.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if the caravelle is different (although sounds it), what I do know is that my mates acv 2.5 is revving at more like 2500rpm at 75. The other mates have 6 speed t5 130, and a t25 with a 16v scooby engine. You can imagine the rib tickling I got for being so slow!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Don't know if the caravelle is different (although sounds it), what I do know is that my mates acv 2.5 is revving at more like 2500rpm at 75. The other mates have 6 speed t5 130, and a t25 with a 16v scooby engine. You can imagine the rib tickling I got for being so slow!!

It sounds to me like someone replaced the gearbox at some point with one from a 1.9... Check the gearbox code - this will tell all!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same thought that it may have had a 1.9 gearbox fitted at some point. I thought the 1.9 and 2.5 ajt both used the o2b gearbox. Or is it the same gearbox casing but different ratios? :confused:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I had the same thought that it may have had a 1.9 gearbox fitted at some point. I thought the 1.9 and 2.5 ajt both used the o2b gearbox. Or is it the same gearbox casing but different ratios? :confused:
They both have the same gearbox in the sense that they are both 02B boxes - yes. Of course there are tens of different variants (codes) of the 02B box and that is why I said previously
Check the gearbox code - this will tell all
The code is what will tell you what final drive and gearing it has

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks for all the info, will find out what code my box is, though as already mentioned I think it will come as no great surprise that its probably got a 1.9 box fitted. I:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have the same problem on my Velle,someone has fitted a 1.9TDi or a 2.4 D box. Just managed to pick up an EWB code box and getting it checked over before fitting. Did a run last weekend and was nearly 4000rpm at 75. To top it off the rear box onthe exhaust fell off on the way home.

If you check the code in your handbook or on the bottom cover of your fuse box. You will see engine coce on the left side a few lines down and to the right opposite this will have the code of box which should have been fitted.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts