VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share some pics of our T5 in here.... well, I say 'our' - he's Steve's really, but you know how it is! ;)

Anyway - Widget is a 174 5 seater Kombi, SWB. His option extras include twin sliders, tinted glass, air con, cd changer, comfort pack, 2nd battery, tow bar, colour coded bumper, fogs and alloys.

This is the day we picked up from the dealers in March 2006 all shiny and new! :D

Took him straight down to Westward Ho! to get some piccys:

Got a bit dirty on the way home:

First mod was some shiny side bars:

Did a bit of camping in him:

Fitted clear repeaters:

And chrome indicator bulbs:

Went back to Westward Ho! - this time to camp:

Then fitted a rear top spoiler:

And a front splitter:

Next thing we did was pull off his nose, ears and inner handles - don't worry, we returned them to him, but all colour coded!

Shiny shiny!

The next thing we did was add stripes! As you've probably guessed from the pics of my Beetle in the background, we like stripes!

Welcome to 'Stripes R Us'

Widget has had many 'professions' since we've had him - he's moved people, junk, been camped in, taken a lot of rubbish to the tip, helped us move house and also moved my 2 old Beetles when we moved:

Then Widget got a bib!

The stripes started to get tatty, so they came off, and on went some eyelids:

A little chilly! (and yet another car with stripes)

Recently he was towing one of my Beetles again - this time to Volksworld. This was a much longer trip than when we moved so we got more of an idea of how well he tows over different roads - we were very impressed. Even with, what I'm convinced is the heaviest Beetle in the world (our Split is lighter!), he still managed 28-29mpg going from Somerset to Surrey!

You can also see the Caravelle rear lights :)

So that's where we're up to with him. I'm still working on convincing Steve to lower him, and he's spent the last 3yrs looking for the 'right' alloys - they're either the wrong stud pattern or not load rated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :D

Splits and T5s go very well together.... we might be biased thinking that though! We actually have 2 Splits, but the other one lives with my parents awaiting resto.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the stripes did look cool :) I think he wants to do something different now though, although he's not sure what!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve bought some bling for Widget which was sold as 'easy fit'..... erm no! After removing the under engine tray, the grill and trying to squish our hands into spaces, the bumper was pulled apart!

The 'non' easy fit fun didn't stop here - one of the bolts which hold the grill on wouldn't thread... and we couldn't retap it because it's stainless.... so we had to araldite the bolt in....

Anyway - it was all ok in the end! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Widget has had some more new bits fitted. Chrome grill trims, smoked side repeaters and black Audi style headlights.

Taking the bumper off to get the headlights out was a bit scary! I counted that we'd taken out 48 screws!

But it all went back ok:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm very moved with your vans story..... Thinking the good weather and some new wheels will bring a story out for my van in team blue...

Will keep an eye out for you down the Ho! this summer - i normally kip on Golf links road right outside the beach car park entrance! (free parking and walking distance from the boozer and public toilets!) shhh - don't let on my secret!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you get my vote, for the Bus and being the most mad keen VW couple I've heard of yet.

I'm very moved with your vans story..... Thinking the good weather and some new wheels will bring a story out for my van in team blue...

Will keep an eye out for you down the Ho! this summer - i normally kip on Golf links road right outside the beach car park entrance! (free parking and walking distance from the boozer and public toilets!) shhh - don't let on my secret!
We'll have to have a look at that spot :)

Sorry if I missed this but why is it called Widget ??

Cool van...
Because the number plate starts WJ... Wij... Widg... Widget.... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts