VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, had a run down to cornwall from hull this week and did a mpg check,i got down there and halfway back on 64L, 14G ,575 miles. and it worked out at 41 mpg,drove pretty steady 65 on cruise control and got 41 mpg,ok not brillant.on the refill i did 280 miles back to hull,with the same road works etc as on the way down,but i explored the lower part of the peddle travel I: for a long way as i getting late back.i got 43 mpg....with the air con on all the way.
i used the shell optimax on the way down and normal shell from the motorway filling station for the rest of the way.
the best i have had is 44 mpg mixed driving,but since i have fitted new tyres as the old ones had gone hard and started to crack,i struggle to get the same mpg even through i have fitted a full stainless and removed the cat as well as using 5w40 fully syn oil.
so it perhaps shows that tyres are a major factor.
2.5 88 bhp diesel.
regards jon

·
Registered
97 Posts
I find that driving motorways /duel carriage roads at around 70mph i get 560 - 580 miler per tank.

If I drive A roads (with more accelleration breaking etc but never going over 55mph i get 600 - 660 miles per tank....

i thought steady would be better but there's a big gap.

·
Registered
151 Posts
News tyres have a higher rolling resistance than worn tyres so that'll be one factor. Weather will also have a big effect on your fuel economy - standing water on the road can create at least 10% reduction in mpg, and of course head winds will also make a big difference. Was your van lighter heading back as vehicle weight is also worth considering?

When I ran my Velle for two years on Cornwall to Midlands/south east my trip average was 40-41 depending on the time of year, with 36mpg in deepest winter. Interestingly on a 2000km round trip to Munich from Calais it averaged 44mpg, running on the autobahn/autoroutes at 110km/h on cheap French/Luxembourgois fuel.

Craig

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi,on the way back it was pissing down and standing water,also i just filled up with juice,so was at it's heaviest.the way down was dry.can only think it may of been a southerly wind on the way back?
just seems strange,that making the effort to get good mpg,was beaten by driving quickly?
round town it is not too good 30 mpg at best.
regards jon

·
Registered
151 Posts
That sounds exceptionally weird Jon, I'd be tempted to recheck your figures as it doesn't seem feasible - heavy rain normally knocks your fuel economy to bits.

Did you do a tank top to tank top refuel letting the tank vent to get the last bit in slowly? Also do you recall if you fuelled on level ground each time as the angle of the van obviously affect capacity (just trying to cover all the variables! :))

Craig

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi
thats why i posted T:,i expected about 35 mpg on the second run after top up,i always brim the tank,as in slowly keep topping up after the foam clears. i keep a book on fillups and miles etc,winter is not good.the only thing going for the second run/topup is the gearbox etc is up to temperture.
it really should of been worse on the second run.next mod is egr valve so will keep a eye on future results :cool:
regards jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts