VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

wild camping in East and South Devon.

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnny 5 
#1 ·
I have always thought that the forum has lacked a good resource for wildcamping spots. I realise that there is a wildcamping thread in the camping section however it is time consuming to trawl through dozens off pages on the off chance that you might find a good spot in an area you are planning on visiting.

I gave it some thought and and came to the conclusion that if there was a "wildcamping spots thread" in each regional forum that only included spots from within that region it would make it really easy to find spots exactly where you need them. Obviously it is also a great chance for us to share spots with others in our area. The other knock on effect would be that people would be more likely to attend meets in other regions as they would stumble upon meet threads when looking for wild camping spots.

I hope you guys are on board with this and can see it's merit. If we can make this thread a success (and let's face it, it should be easy as we live in one of the most stunning locations in the country) hopefully we can convince other regions to follow suit with a similar thread.

So what would each post need??

Location - postcode, address, directions (if you pm me I can always add a map to it)

Amenities - brief list of them

A little description, why you like it etc

A few photos

That's it!

Remember you don't have to have stayed there to post it up on here. If you see a great spot take a few pics and post it up here.

I know there are plenty of seasoned campers out there in our region. I need you guys to help me lead the charge on this one. Every single spot you post is worthwhile but please guys let's keep it strictly posting spots in here. If you want to know more about a spot or thank the poster then send them a pm.T:T:T:

As an extra incentive I will post up the location of the spot from the below pictures once we get to 50 spots. If you already know the location then please don't say.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: wild camping in East Devon.

Right just to get the ball rolling here is the first spot.

Location - TORQUAY (satnav tq12ht)

Amenities - None to speak of. There are pubs within 15 min walk.

There are a few camping spots along this quiet road and we have never been bothered there. There are no parking restrictions.

Hopes Nose is a stunning place and a great place to cast a line into the sea to land your dinner for the bbq. The views are absolutely breathtaking here and on a clear enough day you can see right over to portland. This is a great place to spend a night or at most 2 but be warned it's a popular place for locals to park in the summer so you might have to wait a little bit to get a good level spot. (There aren't many).

#4 ·

Stover country park ( just outside newton abbot and less than half a mile down the A382 towards newton abbot off the A38)

Stover country park is a great place for a nights wildcamping in the carpark. You can't get right by the lake but it is only 100m from the car park.
Stover is maintained by the forestry association and the carpark is pay and display but only a couple of pound for the whole day.
Overnight camping is prohibited, however there are no gates on the entrance and no private company's carrying out carpark patrols in the small hours of the night, definately best to be up fairly early to either pop another parking ticket on or to head off. The forestry staff finish at about 5 and by about 6.30 you will more than likely have the whole park to yourself for a bbq at one of the many picnic areas.

#5 ·

Teignmouth seafront; Close to bars, restaurants and beaches. This car park is chargable up to 1800 (please check) but you can park along the seafront until May free also lots of people around more Urban camping than wild camping but cant beat free beautiful and by the water. There are many campers staying there in the winter not all VW's mind.

#7 ·
Here's one I've had my eye on for a few years....Beessands in South Devon, follow the road right down to the beach, then turn right rather Han left towards the pub The Cricket Inn' whose claim to fame is that Ito is the place where avert young Mr Jagger performed for the very first time with Mr. Richards (honest!)...Follow the road along and park up..... The Pub is not bad for a meal and great to sit outside of and you also have the 'Brittannia' cafe/ restaurant where they cook what the boat brought in....GREAT fish and chips!

There's a few secluded little coves on thispeninsula that might be worth a try....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.