VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

We just joined the ranks of T4 camper owners about a month ago. We're addicted to the instant hit the road and find a place to camp lifestyle, but as we were previously avid tent dwellers the world of wildcamping is bit of a mystery. I've spent many a happy lunch hour browsing the photos of other Forum members intrepid adventures into the wilds of the country to enjoy both amazing views, unusual locations and a sneaky free pitch for the night.

As a beginner the idea of pulling over at random (or not), popping the roof and sticking the kettle on is a bit nerve racking - we don't fancy any unwanted visits during the early hours because we made a duff decision on the location. So I came up with an idea, which embracing the power of Google and the enthusiasm of Forum members all over the country/world(?) we could build a map packed with tried and tested locations with all the basic details needed to get Newbie Wildcampers, or experienced ones looking for a new location to visit.

Getting involved and contributing is pretty simple and I'd be happy to explain more if anyone is interested. To begin with though I have created a map at my Google Account with an example location with some thoughts on the types of information that might be useful. Essentially, this map would only be available to Forum members via a link on this website. Given that it's success is reliant on the input and adventurous nature of the owners of the Forum it seems only fair to keep it exclusive. That doesn't mean it can't shared with the select few members deem worthy.

Fingers crossed that some of you think this is worth having a stab at.
Phil.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. No not at all. Just someone who wanted to try and build a decent resource for the members of the Forum where the info is more easily accessed than ploughing through numerous Threads in the hope of finding a relevant Post. I reckon this could be great if enough people wanted to collaborate. As I said in my original Post the link to the map would only be available on the Form website.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None taken. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't currently have any technical issues to resolve at the moment and can concentrate on ways to enjoy the vehicle I've invested in. Hopefully this'll continue but I expect at some point some of the wealth of knowledge on the Forum will prove useful. For now though I thought this might be a useful thing that everyone could benefit from.

·
Registered
368 Posts
the only prob i see with this,is that once you've mapped all the nice quiet little wildcamping locations, they wont be, so when you go out for a nice few nights away you will be having all and sundrie with you

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is certainly a concern, but on the other side of the coin the more experienced Wildcampers, and ultimately the Newbies, would be inspired to explore new possible locations. This country may look small on a global scale but when it comes to the number of VW Camper owners looking for a quiet little corner somewhere for a night I reckon there's plenty of room for everyone. We're all nice enough people and sharing the corner of a rural car park, canalside or woodland clearing for a night may just open things up further for those wanting to experience this form of camping.

Perhaps once established there could be a kind of etiquette where a location shouldn't be visited by more than a specific number of Campers depending on the location. Naturally there will be areas of the country that have a higher saturation of place to stop, but at least then it'll be clear where the less explored areas are.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Perhaps once established there could be a kind of etiquette where a location shouldn't be visited by more than a specific number of Campers depending on the location. Naturally there will be areas of the country that have a higher saturation of place to stop, but at least then it'll be clear where the less explored areas are.
Don't think it could be enforced....also I think what you are looking to do has already been done at the wildcamping for motorhomes forum ? There is a small cost for the mapping files, but this helps weed out the serious T:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't think it could be enforced....
That may well be the case. But I think we're getting a bit off the beaten track here. Erm. Well. That's kind of what we're wanting to do I suppose. All I was hoping to do was rally support, get some people onboard to contribute details of places they've been to wildcamp, build a Google Map with some of the basics you might need to know about each place and get everyone out there using their Campers for what they were built. I don't think it matters whether it's been done by someone else already as the contributions from this Forum would be more specific to the T4/5 user and their particular favoured types of location.

There must be some interest in a resource like this. Especially with Campsites becoming more expensive every season and those special gems that cost only a £5 a night for a Camper full being so difficult to find. Hey. Perhaps even those could be included in the Map. T:

·
Registered
591 Posts
The biggest problem is popularity, once a site is found to be a freebie it turns into a parking lot. It happened at Studland in Dorset, what was once a really lovely spot to see the sun go down, turned into a caravan park along the road. People stayed there all year in buses, unhitch and leave their caravans during the week and return for the weekends, awning and all. Everyone used the area in the trees as a toilet and it started to smell and on the Tuesday after August bank holiday there was a pile of rubbish higher than my van.

It's back to normal apart from the "no over night parking" restrictions

Great idea but there's just to many of us that want to do it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The biggest problem is popularity, once a site is found to be a freebie it turns into a parking lot. It happened at Studland in Dorset, what was once a really lovely spot to see the sun go down, turned into a caravan park along the road. People stayed there all year in buses, unhitch and leave their caravans during the week and return for the weekends, awning and all. Everyone used the area in the trees as a toilet and it started to smell and on the Tuesday after August bank holiday there was a pile of rubbish higher than my van.

It's back to normal apart from the "no over night parking" restrictions

Great idea but there's just to many of us that want to do it.
Exactly the same thing happened with Firle Beacon here in Sussex. Long term wilders screwed it up for everyone by camping for weeks on end.

I tend to post some of the more out of the way places i have stayed at but even then i hesitate about posting some of the best ones. Bishops Limekiln is a case in point, a cracker of a location but easily lost through abuse. i would say that you could get away with two nights at any one location at a push but any more than that and the local council is going to hear about it from the locals / ramblers / dog walkers etc. Anywhere with nearby houses is going to be sensitive and probably a one nighter only.

One big bonus is that a smart T4/5 is less obtrusive than a honking great winnibago / hymer type monster that takes up two or three spaces and a standard height vw can usually get under a 2m barrier :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thats a really good precis of the problem. as a country dweller myself, in rural Pembrokshire, there are a couple of places which would be fantastic for wildcamping. People who take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints.

The worry is that you would start with a couple of people overnight and next thing you know you have a full on rave on the common and the mess takes weeks to clear..

Mind you last rave we had round here there was a very little trouble and then the Police weighed in telling people who were walking the site with bin bags tidying up to leave or face arrest.

Campers, also tend to pay money into the local economy.

The wild campers often bring everything with them then go home.

But I bet if you found some secluded patch of land and offered the local son of the soil a tenner you would be welcome.

There is a lovely patch of land just up the road from me where you have the most panoramic views ever including occasionally the Wicklow Mountains 60 miles away.

Rhys

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I genuinely believe that resourceful folk will find somewhere if they need to, without recourse to another bl88dy website or book.
I also think that to publiosh such spots is also an insult to those who may live near to them.
I'm sure most of us who travel regularly to different surfspots maybe will have 2 or3 places they know, but, in many cases it will be locals who have told them where to find them in the first place. First post or ten thousandth post - and welcome to the forum T: - sorry fella, I personally think that's a daft idea and want no part of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts