VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Our bonnet bra is a faux leather one which we had on our van before the respray. We don't know whether to put it back on in case it will scratch the paintwork. Will it do this?? It looked cool with the black bumpers before, but we are unsure whether to put it back on with the bumpers colour coded. Opinions.......???

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I doubt the bra itself will scratch, but if it's like mine it'll collect bits of grit and stuff under it.
They may well scratch it, but I only take mine off maybe once a year.
My bonnet was pretty much pitted with stone chips before I put it on.

I suppose if you take it off weekly/fortnightly you could clean any debris from under it, but why hide such a nice clean bonnet in the first place :D

If it's a black bra then it would still set it off a treat with your wheels and side bars T:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Take it off weekly and clean the bonnet and in winter more often depending on how dirty it is and put a good wax on the paintwork aswell .

Just keep it clean and it will be ok T:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Had one on my new red van for 3 weeks and it has totally :* the paintwork. I had one on my white van and didn't notice any problems. Not sure if because it was white you couldn't see it. But it appears to have allowed moisture to go under the clear top coat and turn the finish cloudy. I have read lots of different reports about them. Most people say take them off over Winter, I never got to Winter before the problems started. Yes, they make your van look goo and protect bonnet from stone chips. But at the moment I would rather have stone chips, than have to have my bonnet resprayed.:(

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
i`ve had mine on for almost a year now,and never took it off or looked under it,

what you dont know cant hurt,and i dont want to know.:mw

·
Registered
408 Posts
i`ve had mine on for almost a year now,and never took it off or looked under it,

what you dont know cant hurt,and i dont want to know.:mw
Yeah I'm the same my bonnet was pebble dashed with stone chips so I put a load of polish on and then the bonnet bra and never taken it off since :eek: I know the red has faded/clouded underneath but I'll make a decision on whether to put it back on when I get the bodywork sorted and a new colour scheme done sometime next year. Trying to get the insides sorted first :ILU:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts