VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking into getting a full exhaust system with dummy cat from pptuning .
Was wondering will it pass mot , on inspection or emissions?
I have a 2006 pre dpf 2.5 AXD engine , the plate value is 0.8 , if I'm looking at the correct number .
When getting stuff like this done do you need to know a mot tester who will pass it ?
Or should it still pass emissions ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Or cover/remove the sticker if you are worried, then will be tested at higher value. Covering would be the best bet in case the rules change and they need to see the sticker. If no issues with your van should pass anyway.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
Was looking into getting a full exhaust system with dummy cat
What I don't understand about this thread is why you think you have a right to take out a device that stops diesel fumes from getting to the rest of the population, while every other owner of a similar vehicle is obliged to have one.

I'm a realist and I know that there are selfish people around who want to remove emissions control devices for selfish reasons (usually because they don't want to spend the money replacing one that's broken).

What I really don't like about this thread is that you talk about something that's illegal as if it's just a normal thing to do.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What I don't understand about this thread is why you think you have a right to take out a device that stops diesel fumes from getting to the rest of the population, while every other owner of a similar vehicle is obliged to have one.

I'm a realist and I know that there are selfish people around who want to remove emissions control devices for selfish reasons (usually because they don't want to spend the money replacing one that's broken).

What I really don't like about this thread is that you talk about something that's illegal as if it's just a normal thing to do.
I agree & by posting on a public forum and also inferring that there may be an MOT tester willing to pass it anyway will just give the authorities evidence to make the rules more stringent - I hope they do

Don't think it won't happen - how many threads were posted on here & other forums about getting around the DVLA requirements to get classed as a 'motor caravan' instead of complying with a few simple requirements? Answer: lots

Can we now get them re-classified? Answer: No

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Will fail anyway. Before you could get away with a dummy DPF as it was just an inspection that it was present, they test emissions on diesels now and it will fail if the DPF has been modified/tampered with.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
Will fail anyway. Before you could get away with a dummy DPF as it was just an inspection that it was present, they test emissions on diesels now and it will fail if the DPF has been modified/tampered with.
Not necessarily. The OP is referring to a pre-DPF van, which has a small catalytic converter that's there to stop unburnt fuel getting through the system.

So it stops people in the area having to breath in unburnt and partially-burnt fuel (the latter often containing cancer-causing chemicals), but it doesn't have a major effect on particulates.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Not necessarily. The OP is referring to a pre-DPF van, which has a small catalytic converter that's there to stop unburnt fuel getting through the system.

So it stops people in the area having to breath in unburnt and partially-burnt fuel (the latter often containing cancer-causing chemicals), but it doesn't have a major effect on particulates.
oh ok :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts