VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched on here and the www and I can't seem to find a definite yes or no
I have the change to buy these

They are from a UK spec caravelle and I'm told by the seller they will fit any T5, but there seems to be a few posts on here and other forums that say they won't fit as the ends of the dashboard are different on the caravelle so the doors won't close if I fit them on a basic T5 van. I can't think why the dash would be different as it would surely cost VW a fortune to lay down tooling for 2 RHD dash mouldings.
If they don't fit can they be made to fit? And will the mod be visible ?
I know German spec multi-van door trims will fit but I can't seem to find a decent set and don't really want the hassle with the switch tops that many people seem to have.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I have been looking at these myself and can't decide in real terms I think not as if yours came from a double passenger seat the passenger side is narrower than the drivers side and the dash meets them perfectly. I have also seen that a lot of modification is required to get a decent panel gap on both sides.

In terms of 2 different dashes in them look at the t6 van and caravelle. They will do different dashes. Also the caravelle has a lot more electrics than a van so maybe more space would have been required it's deceptive on a t5 though as the appearance of the 2 is very similar. It is a case of mm. May be worth looking at shuttle door cards as they are more van based but with shuttle refinements.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
There may also be a misfit on the B-Pillar end to consider?
The Caravelle and Shuttle doors send air from the dash to the rear of the B-Pillar though a channel and vents at the from and rear of the door. I would guess (but may well be wrong?) that a panel van with no rear seating will not have that same B-Pillar trim? and so the rear of the door card, where it widens at the vent, may be proud of the pillar?
Like I said, don't know if this is the case, or if it would be noticable or not, but worth checking before splashing out?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi fitted a set from a left hand drive caravelle . sriped out the heater moters to save weight o had to modify them as the switch holes were wrong. The only place it snags up slightly is on the trim that surrounds the handle. It just catches the cover on the end of the dash but doesn't effect the door closing. Changes the feel of the van inside.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I have fitted LHD Caravelle door trims and as said in previous posts, they fit perfectly with the exception of the vertical 'door handle' trim, which does just catch the dash when closing. I simply purchased the uk, grey plastic version from VW. these are very slightly different to those shown and allow perfect closing of the doors with no interference.

Just to add, the vent located on the face of the door trim that meets the B pillar does not cause any issue on my van (with no B pillar vent for the rear passengers). The door closes perfectly with the black rubber door trim vent just touching the B pillar.

I have also removed the fan assembly that comes with these door trims - no need for the extra weight of an item that is not going to be utilised.

Thanks,

Justin.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
No I just used the transporter ducts plastic pipe instead of the caravelle ones with motors. I would imagine you would have to find the heater control module and install repair wires to the door motor and then it should work.
There's only 3 wires on the motors - red, black and purple. Thought a straight forward 12v supply would get them running.

Do you get much air out of your vents? Hardly get any in the back without fans helping it along.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
A bit but not enough to keep cool in back during hot weather or abroad. I assume one of the wires is positive then two switched for on off and fan speed in theory a simple on off switch on the dash would get them working ok, they just won't be integrated with the main fan that's all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts