VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
these are the 17 x 8.5j rials i bought from colese sometime ago. i love em & havent seen another set on anything let alone a t4. problem is, ive recently realised that due to the low offset of 29 the front tyres are going to require some stretch to keep them legal. my van is used for work & a stretched tyre with the wheel rim exposed isnt really ideal. being a 1200 LWB my tyres SHOULD be 99 rated, ive got some 225/50's but theyre only 98. Im having trouble finding anything similar in 99 apart from 225/55's.
this is how they looked with 235's on when i bought them:

tried one on just now & this is how it looks

i'm not sure the 225's will take the tread under the arch. 215/55 is getting a bit stretched but plenty available in 98.
wondering if i could skim some of the fronts to bring them in that little extra. what do you think:

Ive spent hours on them already & dont really want to have to get rid to someone who can afford to run a lower load rating with stretch :(.
i absolutely love them & ive put that much effort into them so far im reluctant to be defeated!! help please!!!

·
Formerly known as boscombesurfer
1,315 Posts
Thought about this myself a few times before on various sets of boots and in the end decided its just not worth the risks :cool:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I will follow the "No-No" Crowd on this one
If I read U`r post correct, U want to tuck the rubber under the arch.
Rolling T4 arches has been woted as a "not so good" option
So what if U`d extend currnt arches? Either by adding steel in the form om welding anoter arch onto the exsiting or fitting eyebrows of some sort?
I mean, even the skimming will not come for free & U will to some extend mess up a perfectly fine & rare rim :(

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
as your trying to run the correct load rated tyres i would suggest not skimming wheels.

sell em on and buy some rims that fit.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
i have run loads of skimmed wheels and i am still alive...

just done 500 miles on skimmed front rials and i am back from holiday and all the falmily is still alive.

need to be done right,you dont want to mess the wheel up..

sorry though mate the mounting face on thos eis no where near thick enough to loss the 5/6mm mm you would leave..

just drop a tyre size..T:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's an example of a 215 on an 8.5j rim. and here is an example of a 225. how much will the height of the sidewall affect stretch if at all? :*

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
here's an example of a 215 on an 8.5j rim. and here is an example of a 225. how much will the height of the sidewall affect stretch if at all? :*
yes but those tyres are small low profile tyres...when fitting a tyre with a higher sidewall the pull is not the same

if you fit a 215 55 17 on the fronts and 225 55 17 on the rear just to keep the front tyre in a touch,there will be no stretch...the rim will be protected...

:ILU:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did wonder that but thanks for clarifying! my 225/50/17's now for sale in classifieds I:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts