VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Will the following jack be sufficient to raise my T4 enough to take off the wheel to change a flat tyre? I will put wooden blocks between the jack and van. It has a maximum height of 34cm, I see people on here talking about using the 2-tonne Halfords jack but others saying it is not tall enough.

The suspension is standard height, and it's on the steel wheels.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve checked on the logbook and it shows 1,536kg, and have seen others on here recommending a 2 tonne jack to be sufficient.

I am unsure of the height though, if 340mm will be tall enough, the suspension is unmodified and it has steel wheels.

Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,519 Posts
You're only lifting one wheel....so maybe 800kg MAX.
That's about the same total weight as "her" Smart Roadster.....and I've lifted one wheel off the ground trying to undo rusted wheel bolts!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

It’s 340mm max height, so will this be sufficient height? Or with a wooden block?

I see taller trolley jacks elsewhere but more expensive and this is just for emergencies after I’ve changed the current flat.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've used this on a T5 with blocks of wood for lifting wheels. I'd want more power to lift an entire front end though.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've used this on a T5 with blocks of wood for lifting wheels. I'd want more power to lift an entire front end though.
How would you lift an entire front end ? I would lift one wheel at a time and put axle stand under the subframe
There would be no point in lifting the whole front end by trying to balance the van mid point would there ? And it would still be less than 2 tons

·
Registered
102 Posts
A 2 tonne jack lifted each corner of our T32 camper with ease. It is lowered by 50 mm,there was no problem getting the jack underneath and raising it high enough to replace and refurb the brakes. As with anything involving a jack, keep clear when lifting and lowering and use suitably rated axle stands before getting underneath.

·
Registered
221 Posts
How would you lift an entire front end ? I would lift one wheel at a time and put axle stand under the subframe
There would be no point in lifting the whole front end by trying to balance the van mid point would there ? And it would still be less than 2 tons
Yeah I'm not sure I engaged my brain when I typed that! Blokes cannot multi task :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Two ton jack is plenty for emergency use but 3 ton much better for workshop use .Two ton jack has a "service" load of about a ton.The two ton is the weight above which it will fail .Bit misleading .A t4 weighs in at about 11/2 tonne most of that in the front end .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts