VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear pads need replacing on my 1999 T4 1.9 and I don't know whether to buy the proper wind back tool, use an angle grinder key or G gramp/turning method. I've searched here for the best method but can't decide. "Oh what a ditherer" shouted the crowd.
What does the panel think?

T:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
use an angle grinder key or G gramp/turning method
You need to use the key and the clamp simultaneously. Its awkward by yourself so get a helper, then its a pice of cake.

The tools for the job work great, but do you really need one if that is the only car you service? How often do rear pads need changing. Even to justify the time saving cost of a cheap tool, you would need to change lots of pads.

Saying that. I like tools, and its always nice to have the correct tool for the job.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I did mine with g clamp & large circlip type tool!
If I was to do them again I will probably make a plate with the 2 pins on & weld it to my g clamp foot!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I service a fleet of four cars and a motor bike but so far I haven't needed a wind back tool, until I got the T4,which I aim to keep for many years. Done my fair share of jobs without the right tools so maybe now's the time to just get the right tool.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Nearly made a decision

A:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I service a fleet of four cars and a motor bike but so far I haven't needed a wind back tool, until I got the T4,which I aim to keep for many years. Done my fair share of jobs without the right tools so maybe now's the time to just get the right tool.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Nearly made a decision

A:
Dont do it! a true mechanic uses what they can find in the shed!

·
Registered
767 Posts
wind back kits start from about £30. on flee bay mate, and they do save alot of messing about, i bought one ages ago to do my Audi and it was so easy to work with and saved time aswell, but its one of those tools that if you try to do the job without one youll wish you had one lol ,,,,, go for it , they r cheap enough and you get a full set of bits to do any vehicle you have now or in the future T:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Rewind-Wind-Back-Tool-Kit-22PC-Set-Right-Left-Handed-/120910822294?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c26d8bb96

Check it out on eBay!

Did my T4 rears last week, was suprised how easy this tool made the job. Previously suffered with wind back on other vehicles without the tool. Well worth the money and skin! I know its one of them, oh another tool to add to the collection kinda things, but, i like my time and want more of it so think the money is well spent :)

Not done the front disks yet but apparently they dont wind back and just push back T:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've used the G clamp/angle grinder spanner twice now on the T4 and a friends mk2 golf, and it has worked fine. It is quite a hassle though doing it, mind you I was getting reasonably good at it by the last caliper. H:

If I were to do it again I would definitely get one of those cheap kits linked above though, would save a massive amount of time!

·
Registered
767 Posts
typical price drop after i parted with 30 quid a couple of months ago ,lololo

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deided, YAY !!!!!, and bought the proper tool. Won't be able to use it until next weekend. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the comments.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts