VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was up in Thurso for a surfing trip last weekend. It was blowing an absolute gale. I made the mistake of opening my car door - with 2 hands on the handle - but I was still rather swiftly shot out of the van.

Unfortunately the bracket that stops the door from swinging through 90° was snapped and the door looks like its dropped about 10mm. To be honest I will give most fix up jobs a shot but it usually takes me a couple of cracks!

So what I need to know is

1/ Where can I get a replacement bracket from?

and

2/ How do I replace the bracket?

and

3/ Is it possible that I could bend or otherwise straighten my door back to the correct position?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

I was up in Thurso for a surfing trip last weekend. It was blowing an absolute gale. I made the mistake of opening my car door - with 2 hands on the handle - but I was still rather swiftly shot out of the van.

Unfortunately the bracket that stops the door from swinging through 90° was snapped and the door looks like its dropped about 10mm. To be honest I will give most fix up jobs a shot but it usually takes me a couple of cracks!

So what I need to know is

1/ Where can I get a replacement bracket from?

and

2/ How do I replace the bracket?

and

3/ Is it possible that I could bend or otherwise straighten my door back to the correct position?

Thanks very much!
The part you need is the check strap, you need to remove the door card to fit it, not sure about your door without seeing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check strap.

Brilliant. Im going to order one.

The door just seems slightly out of alignment - it makes a slight movement when I close it. I have taken photos of the hinges as they have come away from the body of the van slightly. The door has only dropped slightly maybes 2mm. The door still closes okay but you can just tell that its not quite right.

If I remove the door trim will that allow me to replace the check strap? I have managed to get the first bit off but will have to look at the broken bit inside the door once i have the appropriate part.

Check my my space Im Mark Yeadon I just set it up to try to get photos on here but cant work it out. I can email you photos if you would be prepared to look at them.

Thanks very much for you r comments.

Mark

·
Registered
370 Posts
To remove the door trim you have to pull the cover off the door handle and remove the screws underneath. The fixing at the upper rear is removed by unscrewing the middle part with an allen key, then the rest pulls out. also a screw at the front of the trim near the mirror. The door locking pin unscrews out, window winder has a screw under the trim. I think thats everything, then the door trim lifts up to release it.

The hinges have a oval hole in them, I would try to get a long bar into the hole and pull the hinge part back to close the gap. If the door needs lifting at the rear a block of wood under the door and a little gentle lifting with a trolley jack should help.T:

Good luck. Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff the legend

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for such a quick and thorough response. I'm sure I will be scratching my head with my head torch on in the driveway throughout this week getting it fixed.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Door dropped again. Put car jack under it and just cranked it up. Has straightened it out. I found the best way to do it is whilst the door is nearly closed, was a wee bit sketchy and thought it might tip over but door is well straight now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Wow you updated after 3 years since you lasted posted on the subject T:T:

My check strap was snapped when I bought my van and I had to pull a brand new one apart and use the base from the old one to get it to fit as it had bent to the shape of the old one - i right fiddle and is still is a litttle stiff opening closing but at least it works

:ILU:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts