VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought i'd put a step by step picture guide to plonking windows in, a job i never want to do myself after watching the pro's do it today!!!

First drill pilot holes big enough to get a jigsaw bit into....

Then get someone to steady the panel as you follow the line of the inside skin with a jigsaw....

Which all being well leaves you with a big hole, or a big mess, depending on how it went!

Then they used a primer type stuff to cover all the exposed metal to prevent rusting down the line....

Then cut seal to length (As VW do not!) and carefully add sealent, watching him do this in one swift movement was interesting, no way i could do that!!!

Then just a simple job of plonking it in, first time in exactly the right spot!!! JOB DONE!!!

Just got the B pillar vinyl do do this afternoon, will post a pic later!!!

Free plug for a job well done, and a T5 too!!!!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Normally you would roll or hammer the metal back to give a flush finish also im surprised they didnt bond the inner and outer skins together :eek:

Sorry to burst your bubble Gaz just my opinion I:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally you would roll or hammer the metal back to give a flush finish also im surprised they didnt bond the inner and outer skins together :eek:

Sorry to burst your bubble Gaz just my opinion I:

I asked him about that and he said that they used to but often the finish was not up to much.

I'm happy with the finish, but not 100% sure i couldn't have got a better job.

As for bursting my bubble, i'd rather be told!!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
when i had my windows done, they said to me that i shouldnt have cut the metal so close to the skins,...

Looks like they cut it right back on yours gaz, mine wasnt that much, and they were whinging to me bit cos it was cut back so close, they bonded them for me tho.....

Hope they don't rattle mate...

Ant...:ILU:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Not how I do mine but as long as you are pleased, thats all that matters Gaz. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either. Seems there are a few techniques knocking around. And of course, I think my ways the neatest and best and don't use a jigsaw!

If I told you, I'd have to kill you afterwards.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
gaz you should have popped the 2 bits of vinyl on when the window was out,would have been easier for you

would you have attempted to do the windows yourself last summer when you had a big pair of b:*sI:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, left it all day and just been for a spin, no rattles, sqeaks or anything.

I'm still well chuffed with the job!!!

As for my B******s, i told u before, they supercharged them and stitched em back on!!!!

Done the b pillars now!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well, left it all day and just been for a spin, no rattles, sqeaks or anything.

I'm still well chuffed with the job!!!

As for my B******s, i told u before, they supercharged them and stitched em back on!!!!

Done the b pillars now!!!

Looking good Gaz, all you need now is some matt black paint to tint the windows!! LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree that there are a lot of techniques around WSC and I have done dozens inc a lot of people on here, we dont use a jigsaw either, we hammer the outer panel in and also we bond/weld the inner panels together.
Down to personal preferance how you want to get the job done my only worry seeing your pics is that theres not a lot of primer used on the panels. (remember a thread on here somewhere that someones windows fell out):eek:
Ideally for the windows to have a perfect flush fitting constant pressure is needed on the glass whilst the polyeurethene is drying.

Anyhow the van is looking good mate:)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just had another look at your thread and if they told you that the primer was to just stop the rust thats not quite right, the primer does has a rust preventer in it however its main job is to allow the bonding to adhere to it, the bonding will only stick to painted metal for a very short amount of time, hence why i was a little bit worried they hadnt taken the primer far enough out/ a little bit closer to the edge of the cut out area.
Sorry to sound like a know it all but done my time at RAC Autowindscreens, hence orangevanman!

B

·
0 Posts
i thought that if you didnt hammer and bond/weld the skins together then the window didnt sit flush enough to the side of the van????
The gun he is using for the adehsive looks like a normal silicon gun with a normal nozzel on it?
the nozzel normaly has a "V" cut out of it so there is a uniform bead all the way round.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The gun he is using for the adehsive looks like a normal silicon gun with a normal nozzel on it?
the nozzel normaly has a "V" cut out of it so there is a uniform bead all the way round.

i agree not that i know much about fitting windows, but my bro works for national windscreens and the guns they use are massive and also do the v on nozzels?

tom

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The nozle had like 2 V bits in the end if thats what u mean, and then the other guy used a bit of metal to do something all the way round. I HOPE HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING!!!

Total spend........ Off the top of my head...... Well under £2500, but will be just over by the end!

I reckon its not a bad budget to have a fully soretd, if a little ratty, camper!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not how I do mine but as long as you are pleased, thats all that matters Gaz. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either. Seems there are a few techniques knocking around. And of course, I think my ways the neatest and best and don't use a jigsaw!

If I told you, I'd have to kill you afterwards.
Wkd!.. sounds good can't wait to see the windows you do on mine:)

·
Registered
874 Posts
i thought that if you didnt hammer and bond/weld the skins together then the window didnt sit flush enough to the side of the van????
Correct the windows sit proud unless the panel is hammered flat

1 - 20 of 67 Posts