VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in the fife area got a template made for marking out the fitting of a sliding window from a caravelle to the side door of a T4 transporter ,, cheers BingswayT:

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
i cut mine out the other week its not too hard drilled it inside out on edge of the skin then cut that out leaving nice hole then i trimmed the outer skin to alow the window to sit in flush. ur welcome to pop down if your passing for a nosey

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's a bit daunting chopping 2 big holes in the side but you can't go wrong if you got a large hole saw 50-60 mm mark the corners with that from the inside and that way You have got a nice radius, it's just a case of going outside mark the lines from each corner if that makes sense then chop them out. The hardest part is getting the silkaflex out from between the skins.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
i cut mine out the other week its not too hard drilled it inside out on edge of the skin then cut that out leaving nice hole then i trimmed the outer skin to alow the window to sit in flush. ur welcome to pop down if your passing for a nosey

·
Registered
170 Posts
Drill pilot holes at the end of each straight run from the indide out first. Then on the outside protect with plenty of marking tape cover up the area that you will be cutting then draw straight lines from hole to hole to cut along. Drill a 10mm hole next to one of your straight runs for your saw blade to fit in. I use a jigsaw with the foot removed and just run it on the wheel. DO NOT PUSH THE JIGSAW just let flow on its own or it will jump and either snap the blade or bounce out onto paint work of the van. cut along the straights then cut diagonaly at the corners and once you have removed the main panel you will be able to see the corners to cut them out carfully. we have a special tool for cutting the sikaflex out. once you have done this you will need some clamps to pin the skins together so your glass doesnt sit proud. put a thin bead of glue inbetween the skins and compress together with the clamps and leave over night.
Email me if your stuck and i will give you a contact number and talk you through the process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts