VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there people ,
I have just wasted £60 on tinting film for my windows today as I've tryed doing myself..... after the prep work and getting everything just right the sodding film looked spot-on but then the water started tracking back up the window so I spent about an hour trying to remove it (even the wife had a go!) but afer all that, the film ripped so I started all over again and the same thing happen to that! :mad:
Is there anyone near Exeter that knows how to do it that could help me I have plenty of tea & coffee to keep us going......... :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't know for sure bud but maybe apply some heat via heat gun to avoid any bubbles.

·
Registered
756 Posts
i lost my rag with my first go and trashed the film then got some more and watched a load of how to's on you tube,the second go worked out good enough for me...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Had mine done 3 months ago at Portishead (InfinityFX).
Only an hour from Exeter;)

£99 plus VAT for all 5 rear windows (including 2 sliders so technically 8 windows).

Pics in my gallery;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had mine done 3 months ago at Portishead (InfinityFX).
Only an hour from Exeter;)

£99 plus VAT for all 5 rear windows (including 2 sliders so technically 8 windows).

Pics in my gallery;)

Thats a good price T:

I have been qouted £40 + vat per window :eek:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
As a guide
non opening window £25
opening window £45
rear screen/ barn doors £80
roll downs ( where applicable ) £35

Always ask if the film is dyed or glue dyed, only ever use someone who uses film dyed film, and offers a warranty.
Smoke films or limo tint isn't used by professionals... They will refer to percentage VLT 70% being lightest to around 5-7% darkest.

Side windows still require shrinking they are convex but not to the same degree as rears.

I don't charge VAT and there is 10% off for forum members.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi there people ,
I have just wasted £60 on tinting film for my windows today as I've tryed doing myself..... after the prep work and getting everything just right the sodding film looked spot-on but then the water started tracking back up the window so I spent about an hour trying to remove it (even the wife had a go!) but afer all that, the film ripped so I started all over again and the same thing happen to that! :mad:
Is there anyone near Exeter that knows how to do it that could help me I have plenty of tea & coffee to keep us going......... :)
I have done a few, it takes patience, a wind & dust free enviroment preferably indoors, and a heat gun but not too hot !
Also some of the cheap films you can buy are rubbish.
There is an excellent guy down in Paignton that will do it for you professionally and he is a reasonable price too. And he guarantees the work. He did my T5 with a heat reflective film and it`s very good !

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Which windows are you trying to tint, you shouldn't have a problem with side windows but rear will need shrinking,
I've had a crack at this myself and found it's not as easy as it looks. can anyone tell me why rear windows would need shrinking? I've a barn doors and enough film left for 3 windows, so only enough for 1 more c**k-up.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Rear window is actually curved so you have to shrink it to fit other wise the edges dont go right.

ive only ever done my tailgate one but took me 4 attempts before i got it right.

theres some pretty good videos on youtube to watch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts