VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a T4 caravelle - so lots of windows at the back. When we bought the van it had the one rear window limo tinted to hide the back of the wardrobe. This has since been removed because it was a bad job! The other windows all have a slight green factory tint to them which we really like, but it isn't enough to keep the pervs out (although we do have curtains for night times).

[/IMG]

The van is now in the paint shop for a roof down respray, it is staying the same colour. We think limo tint will be too dark a contrast with the bodywork - dont want to chav it up - but also dont want to darken out the interior.

Has anyone done a 20% tint? Any pictures with this tint on a light coloured van and comments about the effectiveness of the tint?

Any tinters out there who could suggest a subtle tint or maybe coloured tint that would do the job in keeping the rays out without affecting the internal brightness but will also look good??

We are also considering not tinting at all?

·
Registered
357 Posts
i would go with privacy tint,its not limo but you would have to stick your face up against it to see in :) keep the pervs at bay.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
hi seen a silver fade tint that you could use, aint got no pics though, but its a bit like mirro tint but fades to black . could be done either way up so black at top and silver at bottom or tother way up ,

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here's ours...same colour as yours isn't it?

I'm not sure what degree of tint it is because it was done by a previous owner but I think it looks OK. (A friend says sinister but what does he know!)

At night it's a bit like a cave but it's fine during the day. It'll come into its own during the summer - my sister-in-law's family has a T4 too and the thing they're most jealous of is our tinted windows as they went to Spain last year and their van turned into a greenhouse. I also like the security aspects because of course no one can see in!

Oddity...it seems like you've got your rear view mirror on dip all the time...

I'd say go for it, unless of course you think ours looks sinister too! :D

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Outrageous -coming on here and telling us our vans look chavvy ;)

I reckon you'll be glad of the tinting, i reckon the silver/ faded mirror tint could look good with your colour of van... but then my wife thinks I'm trying to recreate the A team van, so maybe my taste in such things is void :D

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
got blacked out on mine,cant see in even with your face up against it,nobody can see in the rear which i wantedT:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments and pics. Maybe 'chavvy' was the wrong word . . . . .

I agree limo is perfect for keeping the inside of the van cool, especially as we have a dog - the practicality of tinting is ideal. Just worried that too dark is a drastic contrast against a lighter coloured van - although foolhandy it does look 'less sinister' :D than it could!

Still like the open feel of lighter windows which you can see out of, but would would like more privacy.:*

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can still see out of the back of ours OK. It's not like they're filled in!

Personally I'd go for the full tint because anything else is not really private and not really as good for the heat - there's all that expense for a compromise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is on old thread now but the fact I dragged it up on google means I'm probably not the only one who has looked at it recently.

I have a few things to say with regard to the tints on our van:-

Firstly I think the contrast works great with dark windows and a light coloured van. Ours is white and I think it looks great with dark tints on the side and back windows.

However, with regards to the heat we have found the opposite to some of the people commenting on here. Yes I know it will stop the sun shining in as much but as the windows are black they literally heat up like radiators in the sun and thus the van gets very hot inside. We have the van_x curtains that are about as good as it gets when it comes to curtains too!

I'm currently in the process of making an external screen cover for the side window with magnets in to pop on the outside when we're parked up overnight. Last weekend we were parked up and the sun was rising directly to the offside of the van. It meant the van was far too hot in the morning, both front windows were down 2" as we have wind deflectors. Am thinking about also making up some 12V fan panels to go in the open front windows which should hopefully get some air moving through the van at night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts