VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just bought a basic little all in one touch screen netbook thingy (MSi Wind Top AE 1900 if anyone interested), as auxillery family media unit, just for basic everyday stuff so I can nick my laptop back!

Anyway, as I say, is's pretty basic and is runnig Windows XP, old but good right!?

It also has a DVD Re-Writer so I kind of though with that hardware it woudl also be able to play DVD' right (o.k I know a foto ablbum or camcorder clip burned to a disc ain't the same as a proper movie but you know what I mean).

Anyway.......

When I put a DVD in it won't play it saying it don't have a DVD Converter. So one clicks on the link to go to Windows Help where you can download a Plug-In from a variety of websites. So chose the cheapest one at the top (Roxio or summat) for £9.99. clicked 'Download' and it asks for card details, did all that but instead of then taking my dosh and downloading it sent me an email with Bank Wire instructions and telling me it could take a week to process! Stuff that!

So found a recommended site doing a free Codex pack, downloaded it. But still won't play DVD's. But now a different message comes up saying it's my colour and screen res' settings may be to high, so lowered them, no effact! (fact that different message up now, but not telling me ain't got the Decoder is good right? Just don't know how to check it!)

Then updated the Media Player from version 9 to version 11 (the highest one you can get on XP). No difference, same message!

So downloaded Quicktime.......won't play most DVD's and when does it just crashes.

So downloaded Real Player......won't play DVD's at all.

So dowloaded U-Player.....plays DVD's but sound won't sync and all echos and bubbles.

So downloaded VLC Media Player......plays DVD's but sound won't sync and all echos and bubbles.

Ideas?????????????????:*:*:*:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am afraid that M$ didn't include a DVD decoder in XP. You do have to buy one.
Unless you follow this link:
PowerDVD
You follow this link at your own risk. I:
O.K, understood, ta for the tip, will give it a go!

I guess the codex pack I downloaded from that other site before wern't up to scratch then. Though odd that a different message other than 'no Decoder included' is coming up now.:*

Sice doing the other freebee one I already tried, it now just thinks my colour rate and screen res' is too high; and I can't find where the other Codex download is (no dektop icon created).....maybe have more luck with this other one.....

.....short of getting hold of that spare disc of WINDOWS 7 I was sure I had somwhere.......or did I just imagine that?!;););)I:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
As it's a netbook, it may not be powerfull enough to run Win7.
What are the specs?
Most new netbooks run a stripped down version of Win 7 called win 7 starter basic or sommit like that so should be able to run it, Win7 is not as nearly hungry powerwise like vista was, and is in fact more in line with XP.

best bet would be getting yourself a copy of VLC or a dvd suite program that should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MS Media Player does not play some formats, Says Codec missing Etc try downloading VLC Media player far better than MS Media player and Real Player.

http://www.videolan.org

So just bought a basic little all in one touch screen netbook thingy (MSi Wind Top AE 1900 if anyone interested), as auxillery family media unit, just for basic everyday stuff so I can nick my laptop back!

Anyway, as I say, is's pretty basic and is runnig Windows XP, old but good right!?

It also has a DVD Re-Writer so I kind of though with that hardware it woudl also be able to play DVD' right (o.k I know a foto ablbum or camcorder clip burned to a disc ain't the same as a proper movie but you know what I mean).

Anyway.......

When I put a DVD in it won't play it saying it don't have a DVD Converter. So one clicks on the link to go to Windows Help where you can download a Plug-In from a variety of websites. So chose the cheapest one at the top (Roxio or summat) for £9.99. clicked 'Download' and it asks for card details, did all that but instead of then taking my dosh and downloading it sent me an email with Bank Wire instructions and telling me it could take a week to process! Stuff that!

So found a recommended site doing a free Codex pack, downloaded it. But still won't play DVD's. But now a different message comes up saying it's my colour and screen res' settings may be to high, so lowered them, no effact! (fact that different message up now, but not telling me ain't got the Decoder is good right? Just don't know how to check it!)

Then updated the Media Player from version 9 to version 11 (the highest one you can get on XP). No difference, same message!

So downloaded Quicktime.......won't play most DVD's and when does it just crashes.

So downloaded Real Player......won't play DVD's at all.

So dowloaded U-Player.....plays DVD's but sound won't sync and all echos and bubbles.

So downloaded VLC Media Player......plays DVD's but sound won't sync and all echos and bubbles.

Ideas?????????????????:*:*:*:confused::confused:

Cheers but already tried it. Plays images o.k but sound is all clicky and echos and won't always synch properly. Tried the synch tool on it but made no difference.

Ironic as will play movied images but sound issue now. If could sort out sound issued on VLC Player at least then it would be sorted and wouldn't need to bother about the Windows Media Player issue anymore!:(

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it's a netbook, it may not be powerfull enough to run Win7.
What are the specs?
This be it:

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=prodaiospec&maincat_no=654&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1776

All looks like chooped liver to me; this mean anything to you? Yeah I know......Der!:)

Spec:

Series: Entertainment Series
CPU: Intel® Atom™ 230
Chipset Intel® 945GC+ICH7

Memory: DDR2 1GB Max: 2GB
Graphics: Integrated Intel® GMA950
HDD: 2.5" SATA2 160GB
Optical Drive: Tray-in DVD Super Multi
Audio: 2 x 3W
LAN: 10/100/1000
Wireless: LAN 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: N/A
Panel Resolution: 18.5" 1366 x 768
Touch Panel: Yes- single touch
Webcam: 1.3M
Card Reader: 4-in-1
TV Tuner: Optional (USB interface)
Expansion Slot: Mini PCI-E x 1
HDMI : in N/A
HDMI : out N/A
VGA in: N/A
VGA out: N/A
USB port: 4
eSATA : N/A
Mic-in/Headphone-out: 1
Keyboard / Mouse: USB interface
AC Adapter: 65W
3D Glasses: N/A
Dimension(WxDxH): 476 x 365 x 49 mm

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Looks to me that they didn't include a software DVD decoder. Naughty that. Definitely need something like powerdvd to play them. Look in the faq list of the link above & click on the 'cannot play DVD-ROM'.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks to me that they didn't include a software DVD decoder. Naughty that. Definitely need something like powerdvd to play them. Look in the faq list of the link above & click on the 'cannot play DVD-ROM'.
Hope this helps.
Yeah it looks like it should be able to play DVD's THEN!

There Is a software disc with it too though but is only appears to have stuff that's mainly already loaded and working and nowt that I can recognise as a DVD Decoder. Does this just look like a back up driver CD?

.......would you mind taking a ganders at the list below and see if I've missed owt? :

MODULAR DRIVERS

INTEL CHIPSET DRIVER
REALTEC AUDIO DRIVER
WIFI (WIRELESS) DRIVER
INTEL VGA DRIVER
REALTEC EITERNET DRIVER
REALTEC CARD READER DRIVER
TOUCH PANEL DRIVER

UTILITY

ADOBE READER (ENGLISH)
ADOBE READER (CHINESE)
COREL BURN NOW
MOTOROLA SOFTSTYLUS
MSI BACKLIGHT CONTROLLER
MSI EASYFACE
MSI WINDTOUCH
MSI EASYVIEWER

MANUAL & GPL
USER MANUAL (ENGLISH)
USER MANUAL (MULTI-LANGUAGE)
GPL DOCUMENT

DOWNLOAD SITE
MICROSOFT DOWNLOAD WEBSITE
MICROSTAR WEBSITE
SUN WEBSITE

Cheers again.

I have emailed their support dept but no response, have tried phoning them but no answer....failing that think I'll have to go back to Maplin and do battle!:(

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner.
Looks from that list that they definately have not included a software DVD decoder in the bundle.
You are going to need PowerDVD or similar to play DVD's.
Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts