VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey. can anyone tell me what the deal is with opening/slide windows from factory on a kombi?

Are they slide by default on side doors ? and non opening on the non door side?
i.e. if you have dual slide doors, do you have two opening windows?

Ive seen a few vans with fixed/non opening windows, not sure if these are factory or aftermarket?

anyone shed any light on the spec for this?

thanks!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would imagine it depends what you order them with!
To buy sliding windows is over 450 difference!
If you have kids or dogs you will need sliders I haven't and it's not great

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right. i have both :) ....

i dont see the option in the brochure, unless im being dumb. Just the dual sliding door. Im not sure what the window configurations are.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Might be worth speaking to Swiss vans on here, he knows the option lists better than anyone!
I am now trying to retrofit sliding windows and it's hard work, if getting a new van it's worth asking bearing in mind the cost of each window is £480 each!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Dont know if this helps but I have a factory kombi and have opening/slideing windows both sides with only the one back door. Dont think opening windows are an option think they are fitted as standard.

·
Registered
330 Posts
To buy sliding windows is over 450 difference!
I've just ordered sliding sides with the guy who did my rear glass, in dyed privacy (80/20%) with drain channels not drilled holes for £240 per side supply and fit at my home address. He will be removing my fixed ones as well. Should be fitted on Thursday.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a twin slider factory kombi and I ditched the opening glass after a frustrating few years with constant leaks, even though they were changed once under warranty.
I often carry rear passengers and I have never had any complaints as I just whack up the air con if it gets warm.
If you get the chance, jump in the back off a fixed glass van to see the difference in the ambiance and view out.
It makes sitting in the back with the opening glass windows feel like you've been put in jail.

Looks better from the outside too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont know if this helps but I have a factory kombi and have opening/slideing windows both sides with only the one back door. Dont think opening windows are an option think they are fitted as standard.
cheers Dave. this is what I'm thinking. the non opening on newer vans seem to be aftermarket. doesn't seem to be a direct option in the book, else I'd have seen it and have it penciled in on my spreadsheet :) #still researching, ready order in nov :).getting close now :)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hi guys
Just to let you know
We do sliding opening windows in factory dyed 80% privacy tint for only £149.99 inc VAT
Best quality van conversion windows with hidden drainage
Also if you spend over £200 we offer free deliveryA:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a twin slider factory kombi and I ditched the opening glass after a frustrating few years with constant leaks, even though they were changed once under warranty.
I often carry rear passengers and I have never had any complaints as I just whack up the air con if it gets warm.
If you get the chance, jump in the back off a fixed glass van to see the difference in the ambiance and view out.
It makes sitting in the back with the opening glass windows feel like you've been put in jail.

Looks better from the outside too.

which air con pack do you have? ... I was concerned about the ability to keep the whole van cool when hot.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
When I looked 2 years ago at new vans the Kombi/Shuttle/Caravelle came with sliders as standard but the Window Van is fixed glazing. My Window Van had fixed glazing but I had a slider put in the window behind the drivers seat as thats where the cooker is. Having looked at a few older Kombis it appears that sliders became standard around 2006.

If you look at autotrader and search for Kombi (as I'm doing now) it would appear that most Kombis dont have sliders. This is becasue they're fake and the scammers cant be bother to pay £400 for the right windows! It you type the reg number of one of these vans into the DVLA on line checker ( https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e2s8 ) it will tell you that these vehicles are all Type Approval N1 = van whereas genuine T5 (not T5GP though) Kombis are M1.

For T5GP kombis VW changed type approval to N1 so you'll have to look at the M code sticker under the dash which should clearly have Kombi written on it.

Strangely my Window Van sticker also says Kombi as they share the chassis but its got different option codes for full glazing and no seats etc...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts