VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps,
Looking for a LWB T5 for a U shaped conversion for a more social set up in the back. I've decided to sacrifice the idea of a full wardrobe set up and want to have all round windows. If you look at the Solace set up from Cascade Conversion you will understand. I've approached a few conversion companies and may even do it myself. The companies seem to want a straight panel van so they can fit windows from the start, whereas I was looking at a Shuttle or kombi or minibus which already have the factory windows. Now into sure if the companies just want the extra work or there may be a reason to not convert an already window van? Obviously the factory Van's have moulded panels inside but these surely can be ripped out and back to standard stripped van?

Apologies for the stupid question, just checking before I start my search!,

Cheers Si

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Probably because it would be hard to match the windows
They would be a different tint and not look so good
A friend of mine who owns a body shop once told me that he would rather cut a window out of a panel van than replace an existing window as its less work
So i guess no one wants to remove combi windows to fit the whole van with matching ones either if they don't have to

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably because it would be hard to match the windows
They would be a different tint and not look so good
A friend of mine who owns a body shop once told me that he would rather cut a window out of a panel van than replace an existing window as its less work
So i guess no one wants to remove combi windows to fit the whole van with matching ones either if they don't have to
Yep good call regarding a combi! I suppose if it has windows all around like a shuttle then it would be ok!

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it's already got windows then a conversion company don't need to touch them. Simple. Plus you'd be able to sell the interior panels too if you're not keeping them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's already got windows then a conversion company don't need to touch them. Simple. Plus you'd be able to sell the interior panels too if you're not keeping them.
Exactly what I was thinking, it's not going to inhibit a conversion at all!😁

·
Registered
725 Posts
The cost of a shuttle would be higher than a standard panel van. You’d have to weigh up the cost of window installation versus the extra outlay initially. Personally I’d go for a high spec panel van and let them loose with the tin snips / jigsaw 👍🏻

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it’s a Kombi only factory windows will have the tint to match. I went down this route as I knew that different tints would annoy the hell out of me. I think it was around £160 per rear window.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Hi Si. Our Kombi only had the windows as far back as the slider. Its a LWB and we decided after 4 years after our conversion, to have the rear quarters done. went to Dean at Vandoc and did a brilliant job with a perfect match to the factory fitted tint. van looks loads better inside and out. (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cost of a shuttle would be higher than a standard panel van. You’d have to weigh up the cost of window installation versus the extra outlay initially. Personally I’d go for a high spec panel van and let them loose with the tin snips / jigsaw 👍🏻
Yep one of the many things to throw into the pot! Shuttle will be more expensive, more miles and not sure what the conversion would do with the roof lining vents and lights? It was just the lure of factory fitted against dodgy bloke with tin snips🤔😳

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Si. Our Kombi only had the windows as far back as the slider. Its a LWB and we decided after 4 years after our conversion, to have the rear quarters done. went to Dean at Vandoc and did a brilliant job with a perfect match to the factory fitted tint. van looks loads better inside and out. (y)
Nooooo, I'm getting so much good sense info across both ideas! Think at the end of the day it will be decided when a good clean van comes up! Where is Dean based?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I had the very same thoughts last year. Perhaps a good idea is to get yourself a high-spec van. Highline? DSG maybe? Way cheaper than a shuttle but still with Cruise, A/C and 100,000 less miles...
James Woodhead @ Custom Campers is the go-to man for a ‘Factory’ finish. 👌🏻 He carpets before the windows are fitted, over-wrapping the edges (that are painted first) so you don’t need knock on rubber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have a mulitvan. not the same i know but plenty of windows... we get shade blinds std and as you say paneling aircond etc... stack of seats including the rock and roll seat standard (short I know but plenty wide...) that will save 2000 pounds. dual doors are great so handy. We removed the two middle seats and fitted an engle portable fridge in the right side door sliding out. and plastic boxes for everything, put a board and foam mattress over the 3 seater and fridge. gives us a 1600mm x 2000mm bed. We use 3mm roof insulation sheet cut to the windows tucks in behind the blinds - as there is not much point puting covers inside the front and rear windows (does little for heating cooling) use bungies and magnets to fix them outside. We don't bother with all that kitchen stuff (we only camp when it is sunny haha...) but cooking in ya van just stinks it out. we cook outside under the awning having dual doors we can have 50 Pound awning either side and we have a door tent... As rear windows are fixed no ventilation gets to the rear of the van - we have fans right above our head but they barely work as there is no flow. an opening rear door window like the merc would be so much better, not keen on having the rear door open snakes and spiders muggers!! It is about 1500 pounds dearer to poptop a Multi van over a transporter - airbages and aircond - having said that lots of people still do it... Multi van gets better door seals insulation captain seats, radio likely been better looked after - mums car... etc. also we have winston lithium - 130 amp hr just fits in the battery space with some modes, but 90amp hr is plenty and that should fit without any moods. NO BMS so we can use it as a cranking battery. 3yrs old 20ks and still performs as new. never take it below 12.5 volts and alternator never charged it above 14.5 volts. settles to 13.4 volts. see other post in my name... Not suggesting you get a multivan just offering a perspective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mulltivan gets better door seals? Mum’s car? ...Cooking in ya van just stinks it out.’
C’mon, stop it!
You’re just enthusiastic about your multivan/ shuttle which is fair enough.
So basically you have a window van? Bit crude?
Think Mixy wants a proper conversion?
I thought about going Caravelle route (factory plastics/ windows with blinds/ triple seat-bed) but paying way over the odds for +200k miles is daft.
Mixy, go as high-spec as you can afford, you’ll end up altering the inside anyhow and
VW DO NOT INSULATE behind California/ Caravelle/ Kombi door cards/ panels, etc!!
My T5.1 Highline T140 comes with A/C, Airbags, Cuise, Bluetooth, 7 speed DSG, Folding heated mirrors...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I had the very same thoughts last year. Perhaps a good idea is to get yourself a high-spec van. Highline? DSG maybe? Way cheaper than a shuttle but still with Cruise, A/C and 100,000 less miles...
James Woodhead @ Custom Campers is the go-to man for a ‘Factory’ finish. 👌🏻 He carpets before the windows are fitted, over-wrapping the edges (that are painted first) so you don’t need knock on rubber.
Which Custom Campers, there's a few pop up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mulltivan gets better door seals? Mum’s car? ...Cooking in ya van just stinks it out.’
C’mon, stop it!
You’re just enthusiastic about your multivan/ shuttle which is fair enough.
So basically you have a window van? Bit crude?
Think Mixy wants a proper conversion?
I thought about going Caravelle route (factory plastics/ windows with blinds/ triple seat-bed) but paying way over the odds for +200k miles is daft.
Mixy, go as high-spec as you can afford, you’ll end up altering the inside anyhow and
VW DO NOT INSULATE behind California/ Caravelle/ Kombi door cards/ panels, etc!!
My T5.1 Highline T140 comes with A/C, Airbags, Cuise, Bluetooth, 7 speed DSG, Folding heated mirrors...
Yep looks like I'll be going in that direction esp as multivans are SWB, good reason to have a u bend design is if I have to I can move a rear seat pod and slide a kayak or cycle in through the rear if I wanted it more secure than the roof rack! Lots of DSG around but worried about monster costs it it goes **** up! I'm an engineer but work abroad so first get the van, then find a conversion to trust which doesn't need a mortgage!😉😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts