VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new ex AA van’s got back (side) windows which I will tint, but I’d also like to find a lightweight security grille designed to stop people getting at my windsurf boards etc. There are no windows in the actual back doors so that’s okay. Many people have these back windows – what’s the standard procedure for security? Can anyone suggest?
Also, how do you plug the holes in the roof/ body made by aerials? Is there a grommet or plug especially designed for the purpose that everyone uses? Many people have these aerial holes – what’s the standard procedure to tide me over until major bodywork and respray? I’d be really grateful to hear the thoughts of people who have successfully converted these ex AA Transporters. Mine was very reasonably priced and I am looking forward to getting it on the road.
Also, on the subject of AA conversions, some members have mentioned that they sold the lights, rear seats and toolbox etc from their ex-AA vans – I was thinking of eBay unless anyone can suggest a better place? How much do they go for?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello,
I sold everything on e-bay, depends how lucky you are really as the items can go from £50-120. I sold my toolbox for £70 and had £65 for the seats. I gave the lights away for free.
For the aerial holes, I used solarex (my surfboard repair kit), it works a treat. I didnt touch the windows.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Tinting the glass gives a degree of increased security as the film holds the glass together when broken. If getting them tinted professionaly ask about security film, this makes it very difficult to smash through the glass. But unfortunately if a thief wants in, he'll manage to, it's just a case of how much damage he causes in the process. Sometimes it is better to keep things out of site (tinted windows etc) fit a decent alarm etc, but don't make it too much like fort knox cause he just trash the van trying if he's keen enough.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Holes in the roof is easy dude, go to a local garage and see if you could buy a few rubber grommets off them,
i bought a massive pack of a motor spares company near to me, think it cost about £5 for 100 of them in different sizes, then for added waterproofing, bit of silicone under neith them ;)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
you can get a rear window tailgate guard and cut it down to fit side windows they are always on eBay if you are going to tint the windows the film will add to the strength and security of the glass the gits got in with a screw driver by the slid door lock on my mates van *<:)>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts