VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Looks lovely in the pics, I didn't think you could have any tint on the window as I really wanted mine done but was told the factory tint is the limit :(
does your front windows have any tint on them? Mine don't and it's a standard van. If i've understood correctly (or even remembered correctly) you need a minimum of 70% natural light coming through the tint, from what i gather standard factory tints are 5 - 10%

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does your front windows have any tint on them? Mine don't and it's a standard van. If i've understood correctly (or even remembered correctly) you need a minimum of 70% natural light coming through the tint, from what i gather standard factory tints are 5 - 10%
I notice it's often mentioned the original windows have up to 25% tint but I'm sure there was very little tint on mine, and yes, up to 30% total seems to be legal limit, I would like to test what they are now.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine had a 54% tint and iv had no problems to date, most cars have pretty dark tint as standard these days so it doesnt really stand out
Yes, I would say the standard tint in my old Lexus IS200 was about the same. I know somebody who has had the same tint on a van for some time with no bother.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Mine is a standard panel van, door windows say "VW Tinted", barn door windows are tinted at factory, the windscreen is also factory tinted with a sunstrip thing... Local window tinter said can't do my doors as its not legal... I'm confused now.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Mine is a standard panel van, door windows say "VW Tinted", barn door windows are tinted at factory, the windscreen is also factory tinted with a sunstrip thing... Local window tinter said can't do my doors as its not legal... I'm confused now.
Only real way to tell how much tint is the light meter test, an auto tinter should have one or if not maybe a vosa van? Or failing that try pulling over a traffic cop :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts