VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My van is sat with the converters with 4 whopping holes cut in the side ready to fit some Vansport privacy glass in.

As there are an inner and an outer skin, what's considered the best looking way of finishing the inside? Knock on edging? Carpet across gap and stick to outside then bond window on? Want to get the most professional look possible so appreciate any advice.

Piccie
Piccie 2

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will do whatever I ask them to (within reason! :eek:). They want me to be happy with the finish and not sure I would be with knock on edging. If there are no other options, edging it is, but was interested to see what others had done.

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I was goint to do it again, I would line just prior to windows being bonded. Ed-J has some good advice for this. I did mine after the windows went in and whilst it looks ok, I wasn't happy with results see photo. I have ended up making up some templates and using 15mm right angle plastic, bonded to inside edge to produce a carpeted surround that covers the original tap on edging and carpet. I am really pleased with the result, but may have save myself some work if carpeted first. Having said that, its easier said than done to get someone to carpet, cut the holes, finish the carpet, then bond the windows! A complete faff! Here's a before and after. Not the best photos as flash burnt out the detail, but hope it helps. (thanks to ed-j for his original idea)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Andy,

The guy doing the conversion isn't a window fitter. He gets a guy in especially to fit them so he has a guarantee. He just wanted to know what sort of finish i wanted internally. He would do it the knock on edging way, but after a dialogue with Ed-j (whose van rocks! :ILU:) I prefer Ed's approach of sikaflexing the gap between inner and outer skin, then carpeting across and sticking the carpet down 5mm on the outer skin around the opening, then fitting the window.

I seriously considered you for fitting by the way, but the logistics of me getting across and back whilst minding a 1 year old, meant it was unworkable. Hope you're getting plenty of business anyway

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts