VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whos done it? what did it entail, repair parts dont seem to be available.

got a huge crack in my screen and the surround is shot so it would be great to get it all sorted at once. the main issue seems to be around the bottom edge, i thing some one has bodged it before but its rubbish. its a pretty complex shape to fabricate.

any ideas?

cheers

rob

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi,
My Brother recently needed his screen replaced in his caravelle, but the windscreen company refused to fit it because of rot around the screen, he ended up taking it to a mates bodyshop to have the screen out, and surround repaired and painted and then had the new screen fitted, £200 bill for surround repair and excess to pay, hope this gives you some idea of cost although other bodyshops may charge moreI:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
I'm going to be doing mine in the next couple of weeks so I'll let you know how it goes

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
My front screen is out as we speak..

If there's any rust round the edge the only way to get rid of it for good is screen out and back to metal T: No point doing it more than once :ILU:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
I bought my T4 in 2001 when it was 3 years old the screen had been replaced and the old one removed with vibration wire the paint all around the screen had been damaged and the tinworm had set in.
I did a quick repair with the screen in,then i fitted a Reimo poptop and the rubber lip that pushes the wind over the poptop.This is held on with double sided foam tape.A few years later the rubber lip became unbonded and with a bit of investigation to my horror i found the water that the foam tape had held for years had eaten its way through the paint and through the steel.The front of my roof is now peppered with holes and awaiting repair.
The quick repair i had done previously has deteriorated aswell up the pillars and accross the scuttle.
I am now planning to remove the front section,scuttle and a pillar outer skins from a donor vehicle i have bought and repair the rot,its not going to be an easy job and im not looking forward to doing it either.For the last couple of years the rot has been treated and gaffer taped up until i could find a rot free donor T4.
So if you have corrosion around the screen get it repaired asap and if you have a poptop with the rubber lip then check beneath it before it gets out of hand like mine has.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I need to do this - probably at the weekend or I'll be failing the MOT next week.

So... back to metal then paint - I'm going to use rustoleum - good old nato green. Might treat with Vactan first?

How long will I need to have the screen out for the paint to dry?

I hear the rustoleum takes ages to go off "properly". I don't want the man from the windscreen place to try to stick a new windscreen to a load of wet paint.

What do you reckon?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow hell of a lot more common than I thought. Just need to find somewhere dry and then get the bead blaster out and some angle grinder attachments. I will get this van useable for the summer. :ILU:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
mines got rot comming on the windscreen and the 2 rear window barn doors . its all down to bloomin windsreen replacment companies using butchers knives to remove the screens in most cases . i can actually see the score marks from the knife that they used . thankfully mines going in for a full body spray next week and these issues will be sorted then . best of luck with all your repair work guys T:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I bought my T4 in 2001 when it was 3 years old the screen had been replaced and the old one removed with vibration wire the paint all around the screen had been damaged and the tinworm had set in.
I did a quick repair with the screen in,then i fitted a Reimo poptop and the rubber lip that pushes the wind over the poptop.This is held on with double sided foam tape.A few years later the rubber lip became unbonded and with a bit of investigation to my horror i found the water that the foam tape had held for years had eaten its way through the paint and through the steel.The front of my roof is now peppered with holes and awaiting repair.
The quick repair i had done previously has deteriorated aswell up the pillars and accross the scuttle.
I am now planning to remove the front section,scuttle and a pillar outer skins from a donor vehicle i have bought and repair the rot,its not going to be an easy job and im not looking forward to doing it either.For the last couple of years the rot has been treated and gaffer taped up until i could find a rot free donor T4.
So if you have corrosion around the screen get it repaired asap and if you have a poptop with the rubber lip then check beneath it before it gets out of hand like mine has.
id replace the foam tape with tiger seal as that wont hold the water. if you ever have to take it off it could be hard work but better that than having rust problems i say

1 - 12 of 12 Posts