VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm getting really disappointed with my T5.1 Caravelle's ability to clean the screen. I've updated the wipers and it has never been much good at cleaning the screen and my attempts to sort out the washer jets haven't made a lot of difference.

I remember someone suggesting an upgrade using arms with a built in wash system (from a Vito maybe?). I think it was on here but I can't find anything despite searching.

Has anyone done anything like this or does anyone have any suggestions for anything else to try?

·
Special Rapporteur
10,048 Posts
I found that when the jets partially block up they are almost impossible to clean out and get back working properly - so they may be worth replacing?

The other thing that's annoying is the lack of non-return valve, so that it takes at least one sweep of the wipers before anything comes out of the jets - I think it would be worth considering adding one?

And the other not uncommon fault is for the pipe to flatten out up by the bonnet hinge, which reduces flow too.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
And the other not uncommon fault is for the pipe to flatten out up by the bonnet hinge, which reduces flow too.
Exactly what happened to mine, pipe pinched and split near the passenger side bonnet hinge, cut it out and replaced with a bit of screen wash tubing.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
My pipe split at the hinge point too, completely cut it in half and fitted a connecting pipe that sleeved into each pipe. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If your jets are getting clogged up it's worth removing them and soaking them in boiling water. This is great for removing all the tiny bits of muck that gets accumulated in there.
I did mine when I got the van as only one jet worked per side, now I have 3 jets per side all spraying nicely ... although trying to get them directed to the necessary areas of the windscreen is an artform in itself!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your jets are getting clogged up it's worth removing them and soaking them in boiling water. This is great for removing all the tiny bits of muck that gets accumulated in there.
I did mine when I got the van as only one jet worked per side, now I have 3 jets per side all spraying nicely ... although trying to get them directed to the necessary areas of the windscreen is an artform in itself!
This is half my problem - no shortage of water - just nothing getting where I need it and I don't have the necessary artistic skills to get the jets going where they need to be it seems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts