VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was caught in the rain a few days ago with my 1999 2.5 tdi, when the windscreen wipers refused to work. After a few hours wait (and the rain had stopped), decided to continue; absent-mindedly operated the washers and the wipers worked again but with a delay of about 30 seconds. Difficult to say, but I don't remember this happening before. Has anyone else had a similar problem; if so, how did you solve it? Alternatively, is this a warning that the ww-motor is about to give up the ghost or something :confused: ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
dont quote me on this, but i had a very similar problem on my golf. It turned out to be the ww linkages, apparantly a common prob on mk4 golf - not sure about t4 tho (Although not the same shape linkage - prob similar materials and bushes used?)

It manifested itself as slow wipers, getting slower, then stopped! Undo the motor from the linkage and turn the wipers on - if the motor spins its prob ok.

Saying all of that - i'm using my mk4 golf experience here :*

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont quote me on this, but i had a very similar problem on my golf. It turned out to be the ww linkages, apparantly a common prob on mk4 golf - not sure about t4 tho (Although not the same shape linkage - prob similar materials and bushes used?)

It manifested itself as slow wipers, getting slower, then stopped! Undo the motor from the linkage and turn the wipers on - if the motor spins its prob ok.

Saying all of that - i'm using my mk4 golf experience here :*
As suggested, tried disconnecting the linkage, motor ran OK. Smeared a bit of grease on the bushes, wipers seem to be running smoother now I:

Many thanks for the tip T:A:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts