VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says, some 'clot' let their door go in the wind and damaged my van :(

I know it's an accident but it's not rocket science, it's windy FFS.

Dent right on the crease line in the centre of my passenger door, paint chipped off about the size of a 10p,

I hope it's a case of prising/popping the crease/dent out and repaint the damage, I don't fancy having all the door respayed as white never matches up again.

I am NOT hp.

Chris:mad:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
just had the same,got my whole van painted 8 weeks ago,2 weeks after that same thing happened to me,im just waiting till after xmas and i will get the whole side repainted to save any matching issues

sods law :(

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It's a shocker what people do with cars. They spend all the money on them, cherish them yet seem to treat other's pride and joy (comes in all shapes and sizes) with such little respect.

Seriously. What happened to people having the moral fibre to own up to a mistake these days...

You sure their confession tucked under the wiper wasn't simply blown away?

Feel for you big time - just glad mine lives on the drive and we use the wife's car mainly.

It's an argument for CCTV and black boxes in all cars - imagine if you could do a search for any vehicles located right next to yours over a given time frame - a bit big brother I know, but would probably cut insurance costs down to a few pounds!

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner said he did'nt realise, he asked if it was the firms van :eek: and generally made out 'it's ONLY a van'

I have his name, phone number, reg No, firm and his addmittal it was the wind but his fault, he will give me his insurance details tomorrow night (he is away from home) and I 'sort of know him in passing'

I have just rung my insurance company, got put through to a claims company, then the underwriters all for 'Notification' only.
Now they want a photocopy of my drivers licence 'to ensure details provided are correct!!!!'

and relax..........

Chris

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Ive just painted some of the side of my van due to some damage and the white I got from the code matches really well, if it's only a small dent then the repairer should be able to paint the damage and blend it into existing paint so even if colour isnt exact you wont be able to tell.
Its when they paint the whole panel without blending it that you'll see any color difference, where it buts up to an adjacent panel.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
having never made an insurance claim for damage i'm not entirely sure about this. Why would you go to your insurance company for damage caused by someone else and the damage is clearly caused by another person who's details you have and are getting? This is not a dig just a straight forward question.

·
Banned
10,253 Posts
having never made an insurance claim for damage i'm not entirely sure about this. Why would you go to your insurance company for damage caused by someone else and the damage is clearly caused by another person who's details you have and are getting? This is not a dig just a straight forward question.
Because you pay them to get this kind of stuff sorted for you... T:

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's a condition of your insurance to report all incidents regardless of blame or whether you intend to claim. But them asking for a copy of the DL seems a much! Sounds like Fatboy got a jobsworth!

·
This isn't Facebook you know
7,009 Posts
I would of thought you need to inform your insurance company so they can talk to the man with the flying doors insurance company I:

That is unless your insurance company have a crystal ball and can see into the future and already knew about your bit of bad luck :D

Im sure your not having a dig but i think i know where i left one of my wooden stirring spoons mate Rasp:

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty much as the others have said, it's in the small print, something to do with risk assessing.

(I made a point of asking, as this incident had absolutely NOTHING to do with me, will there be any penalty against me when I renew next year, they said there would NOT. :tu )

Hope to get it underway this week, I'm a little uneasy having to wait to get the insurance details but I have a route of recourse if it goes Pete Tong.

I think as a private repair it would be about £200 :eek:

Still not HP but no one was hurt and it WAS an accident :blg

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have any issues, speak to your insurers and ask them to do an MID search to get the other insurer details - presuming you have the other reg number. Or you can do it yourself at http://www.askmid.com/ for a fee.

Be wary of him getting "a mate" to do the work, you want to make sure you have comeback if it's a rubbish job or it rusts in 6 months.

PM me if you have any issues - been dealing with motor claims for 20 years! T:

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you have any issues, speak to your insurers and ask them to do an MID search to get the other insurer details - presuming you have the other reg number. Or you can do it yourself at http://www.askmid.com/ for a fee.

Be wary of him getting "a mate" to do the work, you want to make sure you have comeback if it's a rubbish job or it rusts in 6 months.

PM me if you have any issues - been dealing with motor claims for 20 years! T:
I think it will be OK, he was brassed off but seemed to be resigned that I was not going to be fobbed off with 'it was an accident, it happens, it's OK'

It most definately is NOT ok, and I have the fella that did the van in the first place to repair it (I think I can nominate a garage I want to carry out the repair)

See how it goes but thanks for the offer T:

Chris

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Pretty much as the others have said, it's in the small print, something to do with risk assessing.

I made a point of asking, as this incident had absolutely NOTHING to do with me, will there be any penalty against me when I renew next year, they said there would NOT. :tu

Chris
That's what I was concerned about especially when he mentioned being asked for his licence.

·
This isn't Facebook you know
7,009 Posts
That's what I was concerned about especially when he mentioned being asked for his licence.
you mean you was being serious and not wishing to offend anyone, you actually had a serious point to make, wow i knew you were special and i now know why i like you :D

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
you mean you was being serious and not wishing to offend anyone, you actually had a serious point to make, wow i knew you were special and i now know why i like you :D
What do you mean special???? I don't lick windows, anymore :(

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:) Update for those who care ;)

Rang his insurers, got the details I need to get an estimate from my preferred garage to them, very pleasent fella on the phone, hope it all goes swimmingly.

Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts