1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I found this for later models,
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127184
but I have an M reg.
I do however want to fit the newer wings with the cutouts on the drivers side, however..I want to keep the older type bumper

I'm only replacing as I smacked one wing up yesterday ( my flipping fault ) plus they are scabby anyway
One other thing, how do I take off and replace the other bit of front wing that goes around the step, still being part of the wing??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
the wing and arch panel are both welded on. a welded wing is not to bad to replace if you have the right tools and a welder etc. the arch panel is a bit more involved to replace as it will involve a amount of cutting grinding and then some filling priming painting etc.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
to remove the welded wing you will need a drill a 8mm spot weld drill they are flater than a normal drill on the tip so that when you drill out the spot weld it will only go through one skin of metal a flat chisell to get between the two skins and separate once the weld has been removed thats it for removing the wing if welding a new wing back on you will need a special primer to go on the bare metal which still allows the weld to penitrate and a mig welder. as for the bolt on wing i would also like to know the answer as i would like to do the same and have a vented wing i am sure someone can tell us that

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi guys i have a 95 Mreg van and have changed the wing to the newer vented one,you could weld it back on but i found it easier to bolt it back on,2 small problems in fitting it,the newer wing has an extended lip at the bottom of it to hold the bumper in place,this bit holds the wing out to far and it doesnt align properly,cut it off its not needed,also the newer wing bolts behind the door hinges,you need to make brakets up to fix the wing to.Its not a straight swap but its easy enough if you fabricate a few bits and bobs.hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts