VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not that im trying to wish the summer away, im in the process of doing up my first caravelle into a camper so im not really going to see the best of this summer unfortunately, but im looking to get out as soon as its finished and make good use of it even thru the winter months, im one of these hardy souls that goes camping with a tent in the winter or in the depths of winter stay in disused bothies, you cant beat the experience and scenary ive bought the van in the hope i can drag the good lady and kid out when otherwise there would be no hope,

anyone else out there that use them all year round? im going to insulate the van but as my van will be used all year round for camping anyone any advice or extras they have included in their camper build to suit the ravages of the winter months? it would help as ive a clean canvis at the mo, and its easier to incorporate extras now rather than later.

ive heard of talk of running hoses from radiator to provide an underfloor heating of sorts? but maybe thats just overkill

any nice pics out there of campers enjoying a winter outing?

cheers ally

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
try searching for erbascher? or something similar threads is yours a diesel.
best to buy them now as they fetch silly mone when the cold weather starts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi there

no ive got a 2.5 petrol auto (no problems with my box - touch wood) next time round id go for a desil though,

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Autumn / winter / spring is the best time to go as there is no one else around. I would highly recommend getting some kind of heating though, we have an Eberspacher and sometimes it was running all night

·
Registered
979 Posts
We have camped for at least one weekend every month for the last 18 months (if that makes sense:confused:)
We have a Propex, but I wouldn't have one again, nothing wrong with the heat out put, it's when the gas runs out at 3am:( Not goodLOL:LOL:
Eberspacher for us next time, even though they cost at least twice as much!
Thermal screens are a must, I must get one for the poptop though instead of pulling the roof down at night time. If you run hoses from the radiator you will have to have the engine running for it to work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i would recommend getting a tarp or similar. you can pop it up quickly, half as roof to your poles from the roof of your van then let half go to ground and it will give you cover from wind and rain when you open side door. 2 mins to put up.....
one of the forum members had a good one from Vango between his and his wifes van at camperjam.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the advice, its good to hear others are out camping in the elements as well, yes i think the heating is going to be the thing to tackle, if theres one thing thats going to put her indoors off is going to be the cold, i see eberspacher do a 12v heater is it any good? would save me having an extra tank for the juice? although its not really an issue though, ive got a 1kw invertor i could have a genny and run a standard convector heater, its all possible i will just need to make a decision and take the plunge. ally

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey mate,

I've been sleeping in my camper during the winter quite frequently. My camper is fully insulated + i use silver screens on all the windows. I also have a propex (gas) heater, it runs off the same canister as the cooker burners. I've never been cold during the night....but i do use a 5 season sleeping bag (opened out - not zipped up:D). Don't use the propex heater much, but it's great if you want to heat the van up quickly. I prob use it most if i've been out biking or climbing during the winter - whilst i'm getting changed...ohhh lovely and warm I:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Stayed at glencoe in mine some years ago and it was -12 so cold i let the dog out for a wee and had to snap him off a treeLOL:LOL:LOL:
I would recommend changing to propane as butane is inert at cold temps,as i found out when i tried to make a brew and the cooker wouldnt light:( Had to stand the gas bottle above a few candles to warm it up and get it to burn..... A bit nerving but essential!

Later that year i was in the southwest of France and it was +44 and too hot to breath deeply:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
we have a small popup tent, we use it to store all the stuff from the van in a hurry, child seats, prams, etc saves so much hasstle when you are setting up or arrive when dark

we set up the proper awning when light and or dryer

big king size quilt 15tog adds a little comform when outside temp is freezing, vacum pack to save space

picked up a few tips from thread myself, cheers:ILU:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the pop up tents a great idea, just to chuck everything in whilst setting up, i bought a caranex for my estate a couple of years back, im hoping it will fit to the rear of my t4 to give that extra space and also the freedom to drive away and leave as a freestanding tent with all the un needed gear to explore.. so thermal silverscreen blinds are a must on my shopping list i will need to sort out heating formost. ally

·
Registered
73 Posts
My van is fully insulated and i use silver screens - i plan to get external ones too as this would make a difference to the condensation that builds up and usually freezes on the inside( bit of a pain to defrost!). I also use a down sleeping bag (-12 ) which does fine. When i'm not hooked up at a site in the winter i use a gas "buddy heater " in the mornings and last thing at night - does the job. I plan on getting propex but its quite pricey...might be worth it though cause last winter while camping in the highlands ,the water in the porta loo froze during the night....had to wait a while in the morning before it would flush!

·
Registered
46 Posts
We've had ours in Austria and Scotland for the full winter. Been as low as -18.

The main thing is to insulate well. You need to use good quality insulation and install a vapour barrier to stop condensation within the insulated voids which will begin to rot from the inside out otherwise. You need to do it on a hot dry day too. Many people use kingspan/celotex cut to shape and fill in the gaps with rockwool. My. main tip would be to find an asbestos removal supplies company - google CCS, Thermac, AMS, SMH products. These places will all do cash sales of 1000 guage 4m wide 20m rolls of polythene (bout 24quid) and boxes of 12 spray glue (about 12quid) and gaffa tape you'll need for the barrier.

I used kingspan in the hightop - it cut to shape and stays in without glue prior to lining and it's now super toastie. Glass wool in the walls ontop of a double layer of that heavy silver insulated bubble wrapp stuff. If you use glasswool just make sure to glue in either fixing spikes or horizontal battens to make sure it doesn't settle over time to the bottom of the cavity which was a problem in early caravans and not stuff too much in - it needs the gaps between the loose fibres to retain heat.

And make sure to heavily insulate the floor and wheel arches - it's amazing how much heat can be lost through the floor.

Lots of insulation can be found for free if you have any contacts in the building trade.

The propex was the best 350quid i ever spent. You can't use an inverter and conventional heater. Your leisure batt won't last. Ebers are good, a bit more output but they are noisier and can draw 20amps for a while to heat the glowplug which is no good if your battery isn't fully charged. Propex only draws 1 amp or less and propane worked in ours at -18 although the bottle was in an internal compartment.

Thermal screens a must.

saying all that we tended to sleep without the heater and just use a couple of big duvets. I don't mind a cold nose, but the beauty of being able to reach over to the thermostat and fire up the heater for half an hour before you get up is great!

Bit of an essay but as you have a blank canvas hope it helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi there

thanks for advice its amazing how much you learn by just posting a question, yes the highlands will be my haunt, especially the west coast, im from irvine so im just down the coast from you, how and what did you use to insulate the floor, i had only planned the carpet but thats not going to really cut the job especially once i insulate the rest of it, i had a look today and its got an eberspacher heater fitted, but it would appear to be just run from the collant system so will be fine while the vans running but i will need to look at something to take over when stopped for the night. thanks alot all great advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts