VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone recommend (or otherwise) any diesel addatives to stop waxing at low temps???

just done a little bit of research for winter and it would seem that the UK starts receiving *ahem* winter diesel on the forecourts from around mid October (well 2010 did) - this should cover down to around -15c* ~ which is fine for most of the time but I'll be hitting the Highlands once the snows arrive and -15c hasn't really covered it for the last couple of years (last few years i've been petrol/LPG so not been bothered about it before... this is my first season in an oil burnerI:)

anyway had a look around and came across Wurth winter addative - anyone any experience/views on this or similar?

(2001 2.5tdi)

other tips i've come across...

1. keep tank full - helps reduce the water content/condensation from freezing
2. Keep the vehicle garaged. (D'uh!)
3. Park with the rear of the vehicle facing the prevailing wind.
4. run engine for at least 10 mins before driving

(*Also found out that VMAX diesel *might* go down to around -20c. - but who can afford that??)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Put a couple liters of petrol in the tank

Or for about a tenner per tank full you can buy additives that will drop the waxing point by a few extra C

I have heard that the further up north you go the lower the waxing temp of derve they sell
Any one know if this is true ???

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Everyone. I have being wandering about this before, but I have not had any problems with my fuel waxing before. I have used my camper in some pretty cold conditions, including the Highlands in January. I also run my van on 50% veg oil through the winter.

One good idea for the winter is to look after your fuel delivery. The fuel filter on the T4 is in a silly place for the winter, stuck in the wheel arch catching all the slush from the road. For the winter I just lift the filter out of the hole and wrap it in foam matting.

I also have a inline fuel filter that warms the fuel a bit before it gets to the pump.

John.

·
Registered
136 Posts
did this by accident the other day put a tenners petrol in my passat tdi didnt realise till i conked out filled it with £30 diesel and it seems to have cleared the injectors as it loads quickerT:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts