VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the various threads on winter preperation to the van itself such as tyres turned my attention to winter survival for the driver &/or passenger(s).

Assuming the vehicle itself is prepared, to increase my chances of survival should I get well & truely stuck & maronned this is what I carry in the depth of winter, as well as some precautions ;

1) 10ltrs diesel in can with filler.
2) Never let the tank get less that half.
3) Weatherproof clothing.
4) Fresh drinking water.*
5) Orange juice in those small box cartons.*
6) Outer packs of Mars Bars.*
7) Sleeping bag(s).*
8) Fully charged PAYG mobile phone (with credit) to suppliment contract phone.
9) Usual stuff like de-icer, car mats (for under tyres), oil, water, screen wash, shovel ect.
10) £100 in cash hidden in the van.

* sufficient for the driver & passengers carried.

What else do people carry for the winter ?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have a fold away shovel and Screen wash for when the washers freeze up.

Also good are tyre socks/chains, but I don't carry these.

Pretty good list though Brian, I think you mostly have it covered.

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
Last two winters I try to keep most of the weight up front so the weight is on the driving wheels. Havnt been stuck as yet by doing this and been on normal tyres.

Oh and dont forget sensible boots in case you have to walk.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I nearly got caught out last year on the m8 so now well prepared, 4 24 hr ration pack, 6 lts water, gas stove and heater, sleeping bag, Telly and supply of DVDs mind you if I spend any more money on this van my missus will make me live in it

·
Registered
670 Posts
Got stuck last year on the M40 for a few hours...was glad I was in the camper! I had a bowl of soup, made a brew and watched a film! I felt the envy of those around me!

·
Registered
737 Posts
i've just put my winter kit in the back of the van, cooker x2, kettle, brewing tackle, sleeping bag, food etc.

got stuck for 6 hours last year on the A30, could have lasted days,:D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I used to carry a cheap bottle of vodka in the car when I lived in Germany............ Doesn't freeze whereby some screen washes do T: mind you all the alco's used to lick my screen when I parked up :D

·
Banned
293 Posts
I normally hire Ray Mears for the Winter. It saves cutting a hole in my roof for the log burner flue and carrying 2 cwt of seasoned logs in the passenger footwell. Hang on a minute, I live in Cornwall and only get about 2 hrs of snow a year.

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
I've got my water container full and gas full up. I've got two sleeping bags under my folding seat and a shovel in the back along with my Falklands parka and liner.

I've got coffee, tea and a supply of DVD's so if I get stuck somewhere I'll be warm, dry and have plenty of stuff for a brew. Must chuck a pack of Snickers in the van and my new camping lantern.

I hope that it snows when I'm at home and not when I'm at work so at least I don't have to struggle home in the snow. Think snow chains might be next.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
218 Posts
All of the above. Plus heavy duty jump leads and head torch. T:

·
Registered
295 Posts
1. Leave the van nice & warm in the garage.

2. Take Nissan Terrano 4x4.

3. Full tank of fuel

4. All oil & water levels checked.

5. Extra warm layers left in the jeep.

6. If I know its going to be a long drive I take some warm drinks in a flask (soup, tea, etc) + Mars bars to keep me going.

7. Tow rope mostly to help other stupid unprepared people.

8. Jump leads, yet again mostly to help others.

9. A nice big set of rough off road tyres on steal rims.

10. If the above dosnt work, stay at home & think about buying huskys & a sled....*<:)>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts