VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now fess up. Any one else thinking of putting the van away for winter?

I hardly used mine last winter (not that much this summer if I'm being honest but put that down to the weather) and am thinking just how much pennies I will save if I sorn it, take a hit on admin charges and cancel the insurance for the rest of the year (6 months worth) and put a cover over it. It will be parked on the drive so no risk insurance wise as there is always someone here and it's behind a locked gate if there is nobody here.

What else, apart from making sure there is no food or water inside it, should I think about doing to it. Bought one of those GTek charger thingies too so pretty much sorted for the most part I think.

Mind you I don't really want to do it. I will be sad when Sep 30th comes and I have to make my decision.

Any more advice??:*

Oh and by the way can I still come along to the meets during the winter in my Polo???LOL:

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Winter doesn't start until it gets icey. I would miss my van too much. I admit it didn't get used much from dec - march but it was still nice for the odd run to B&Q. I would never cancel the insurance, you just can't say what will happen. You could enquire about laid up cover though.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Put it away for winter?!?!?

Haven't you seen this week-ends forecast? 28C on Sunday!

My winterisation is drain both water tanks and remove the gas cylinder. And that's it! The batteries on our van have lasted well - both van and leisure battery lasted 5 years with only infrequent use. Apparently just starting the van now and then to charge the battery can do more harm than good.

Personally I keep our camper taxed all year which means I can give it a good run now and then.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't thinking about this weekend. Tax is due on the 1st October and MOT at the same time. I've got loads of expense coming up and I really didn't use the van much at all. Apart from the odd B&Q run which, if I'm being honest, I am loathed to do now its all relined inside and looking lovely.

I reckon re-taxing, passing MOT and insuring for the next six months would cost me in the region of £500 for what maybe 5 trips away? Figures don't stack up for me.

Interesting what you say about insurance though. It will be in my garden which is not accessible generally behind a locked gate. So pretty secure really and in this area they don't bother unless its worth at least £25k!!! VW vans tend to get ignored when the burglars come - they only bother with the high end expensive cars. One to think about though. What ifs are endless aren't they.

And I am one of those fair weather campers too. Don't do cold.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Awh Eileen, you'll miss her! I love jumping in my van and taking off for a drive even if it is just to pick up a pot of paint from B&Q. It usually has more fuel than the carLOL:

But needs must, can understand the financial side, timing ain't great:(

Come along to the meets in your Polo, be good to see you.T:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Cancelling your insurance is bonkers, no matter how 'safe' you assume it to be. There's never been a spontaneous electrical fire on a vehicle has there.......

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Cancelling your insurance is bonkers, no matter how 'safe' you assume it to be. There's never been a spontaneous electrical fire on a vehicle has there.......
I would agree - what about falling trees, floods & so on ?

Maybe the insurance will cover for "static risk" if you must lay the van up ?

IMHO, it never does any vehicle any good not using it unless you do things like jack it up to take the weight off the tyres/suspension - keeping them in the same periods for long intervals probably does more harm than good & probably costs more in the long run.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
not sure I'm reading this right, winter is the best time! get out and about. We slept in it in -10 up in Cairngorm in February! No point spending all the money if you only use it half the time A:

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
not sure I'm reading this right, winter is the best time! get out and about. We slept in it in -10 up in Cairngorm in February! No point spending all the money if you only use it half the time A:
Amen to that, Chris!

We use ours all year round and have also stayed in Aviemore town and Cairngorm mountain carpark at -12C one night (probably -14C during the night) for snowboarding trips. Poptop foils, Eberspacher on low, sleeping bags and fleece throws and we were all toasty. Even drys out your boarding gear during the night too.

If you are put off using the van in winter because of the cold, get an Eberspacher or Webasto fitted!

If you don't use the van in winter because you have no need to, get some hobbies/do some sports that mean you do use it!

If you don't want to do stuff during the winter (that is a real shame) the choices are SORN it (as you've already mentioned), just pay the tax and insurance or sell it.

Simples :cool:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Perhaps we'd all be better off toughing it out indoors in winter ?:eek:

Yeah right :D
I'd get bored.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Theses are vans to be used not super cars ! Come on get a grip and use them like they are designed for. T:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Totally agree that it is magical staying out in the van in the dead of winter with snow around!!

As for the van... Worst thing you could do is lay it up... Cars hate being parked up and left.. They are full of 100's of seals and components that only get lubed when in use... Could end up costing a fortune long term... Everything from brakes to engine internals to drivetrain / transmission can be adversely affected by being stood to dry up and fester.... :*

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
We only get one life so live it no way will our van be stood up even if we could we take holidays in all 12 months of the year and sometimes been warmer in January than April !! ok so we do have a caravan so cheat a bit but then the T5 is not converted as yet . But as soon as it is we will be heading of to a snowy Scotland :D . Just think how many winters will you see in a life time 80 if lucky ...how many have you already missed I:

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Using our Cali (bought in Jan) WAY more than expected as a very handy daily driver/kid carrier/beach mobile as well as camping machine.

I'd cry if it went into storage!

Stayed in a nice hotel near London last weekend and you know what - we REALLY missed our Cali!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
That was one a hell of a trip up to Aviemore Dave! Got to Gretna and it dumped down biblical amounts of snow!!!

Bloody good adventure and a great weekend though :D

Long live the T4 Westy. I wonder how the new owner is looking after her..............

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Cancel the insurance :eek:
Hell no !
Best case is some chavs buggers up your door locks trying to get in which tears up your door skins too.
Worst case is it catches fire and you lose everything :(
Just sorn it !
Look after the batteries if we get a winter !

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I dont have a choice - its my daily drive.

Wish night heaters werent so expensive - i'd still think they were pricey if they were half the price (wonder what the profit is on those things?).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts