VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I’m of to the Alps in Feb in my 2014 Shuttle and need (I think) to get some winter tyres. I currently have 215/65/16c Stella on which I am planning to replace with alloys for general driving but was going to wait until the thread had got down as they only have about 10/15k at most on. I also guess I need the 16 c’s for load rating, as will have be fully loaded with passengers. Just wondering if any one could advise on tyres, best place to get or even if any one has any for sale!!.
Thanks for your help.. again!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Hello all,
I’m of to the Alps in Feb in my 2014 Shuttle and need (I think) to get some winter tyres. I currently have 215/65/16c Stella on which I am planning to replace with alloys for general driving but was going to wait until the thread had got down as they only have about 10/15k at most on. I also guess I need the 16 c’s for load rating, as will have be fully loaded with passengers. Just wondering if any one could advise on tyres, best place to get or even if any one has any for sale!!.
Thanks for your help.. again!
Ebay....plenty on there with rims. Swap when the temp gets above 10/12 deg

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use General Eurovan A/S 365 all season van tyres which have the snowflake symbol (compulsory in some countries for the winter months)
As the name suggests they are all season, so can be used all year

Wear rate is not much worse than ordinary tyres, plus grip in the wet feels way better

It saves all the hassle of separate winter tyres/wheels plus the are load rated for vans

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ive swapped last year to michelins crossclimates with 107 sidewall (so plenty for fully loaded van) , and they are absolutely amazing so far. they are all year tyre inc M&S symbol - but very different to anything else on the market, you can see the reviews and videos.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tyres with M&S symbol are not classed as winter tyres in some European countries - Germany in particular - the tyres need to have the Alpine with snowflake symbol

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am a big fan of Michelin Alpins. Have them fitted to T5, Audi, Mazda and the Pug Boxer van. In fact I had them on the Boxer for 11 months last year on the fronts and they did 45k, yep on the front!!! I have now made the decision to keep them on front and back on the Boxer all year round.
For the T5 though I have Uniroyal Rain sport on the alloys for summer month, Alpins on the steelies for winter.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
If you’r going to certain countries in Europe there can be problems, Germany can be difficult it’s not just the snowflake & alpine symbol, if you get stopped to check tyres and you haven’t the correct size & rating they can make you change the tyres.

Although I haven’t been stopped at home Italy, tyre shops demand to see the registration document for tyre size & rating and will not fit any tyre that does not comply with minimum rating, it doesn’t matter it’s a camper or Caravel, it’s a commercial van.

Most tyre company websites have info on what is required in winter for most European countries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts