VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question.
Why are there wires running to the washer jets.
Surely the pump for them is in the washer bottle. ? :confused:

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,728 Posts
I'd assume they were on all the time.
It's only a small resistor element inside the housing to stop the nozzle freezing due to the cooling effect of wind.
Haven't actually checked on the T4, but my last 5 cars, they were powered on startup.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,728 Posts
Many, MANY, years ago, I once made a heated washer for one of my Landies.
I got a 6" length of 15mm copper pipe, and wraped some copper brake hose tight around it in a spiral.
Soldered in multiple places to hold it together, and then inserted the 15mm pipe into the heater circuit.
Linked the washer pipe to the brake pipe part, and hey presto...I had hot water wash in winter.
Cleared the screan a lot better than using cold water.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ah that makes more sense, so not to defrost when frozen but to stop from wind chill T:T:
I'd have said it was to defrost them from frozen. Wind chill isn't actually a true reading of temperature. It's just a perceived number that gives an indication of what temperature the wind makes it feel like.

Eg. The temperature maybe 2°C but with a strong breeze might make it feel like -10°C, but it is still 2°C really. Hope this makes sense?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'd have said it was to defrost them from frozen. Wind chill isn't actually a true reading of temperature. It's just a perceived number that gives an indication of what temperature the wind makes it feel like.

Eg. The temperature maybe 2°C but with a strong breeze might make it feel like -10°C, but it is still 2°C really. Hope this makes sense?

In normal weather readings the temperature is taken inside a wind protected box so as not to record the wind chill factor. If the temp is 2degrees stood stil,l at 70mph the temperature of the front of your van will be less, in this case making the wind chill temperature the actual temperature at the front of the van, an example of this would be ice forming on airplane wings durin flight

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
In normal weather readings the temperature is taken inside a wind protected box so as not to record the wind chill factor. If the temp is 2degrees stood stil,l at 70mph the temperature of the front of your van will be less, in this case making the wind chill temperature the actual temperature at the front of the van, an example of this would be ice forming on airplane wings durin flight

2°C is 2°C regardless of whether you're stood still or doing 70mph. Wind chill is a calculated temperature not a real one.

Ice build up on aeroplanes is because it is stupidly cold up there, not because of the speed they're travelling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts