VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My T5 has an existing 12V leisure system: 240V EHU (12V charger but no inverter), split-charge (not sure of the type of relay) to 110Ah battery.

Am running a 40W Dometic compressor fridge, LED lights, water pump and USB charge sockets.

I would like to install a 150W solar panel and Victron SmartSolar 75/15 controller.

Looking at various installations (google), most wire the controller's battery output to the leisure battery, with nothing wired to the controller's load output. Presumably all of actual load is taken directly from the battery via the existing 12V distribution, with no further regulation.

I have seen only a few installations which isolate the battery from the load, wiring the controller's load output to the 12V distribution, with the battery wired solely to the controller.

I have read that the load output on the Victron's are for light loads only, and that the output fluctuates? Is the load output from the panel only, and not drawn from the battery?

Can't seem to find any definitive wiring guide (all the Victron wiring diagrams seems to include loads of other unnecessary equipment) - am I over complicating this?

Should I just ignore the load output and run everything off the battery (that would be simpler as I wouldn't need to change the distribution wiring.

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's exactly the set up I have.

As stated, inore the load output, this was also the advise I got from Martyn at Travelvolts.
Similar set up fridge wise. Spent a week in Wales, not a lot of sun for majority of week, but 150w panel and MPPT 75/15 kept our 110Ah battery charged more than adequately - all charged daily = 2 phones,, portable speaker, samsung tablet, plus led lights with no issues, with a 9W fan running all night A:
Doubt if I'll ever use my 240v hookup again!

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
Hi all

My T5 has an existing 12V leisure system: 240V EHU (12V charger but no inverter), split-charge (not sure of the type of relay) to 110Ah battery.

Am running a 40W Dometic compressor fridge, LED lights, water pump and USB charge sockets.

I would like to install a 150W solar panel and Victron SmartSolar 75/15 controller.

Looking at various installations (google), most wire the controller's battery output to the leisure battery, with nothing wired to the controller's load output. Presumably all of actual load is taken directly from the battery via the existing 12V distribution, with no further regulation.

I have seen only a few installations which isolate the battery from the load, wiring the controller's load output to the 12V distribution, with the battery wired solely to the controller.

I have read that the load output on the Victron's are for light loads only, and that the output fluctuates? Is the load output from the panel only, and not drawn from the battery?

Can't seem to find any definitive wiring guide (all the Victron wiring diagrams seems to include loads of other unnecessary equipment) - am I over complicating this?

Should I just ignore the load output and run everything off the battery (that would be simpler as I wouldn't need to change the distribution wiring.

Thanks
As has been said, you can ignore the LOAD connection and have things working just like they are but with charging via Solar now T:

Now regarding the LOAD output on the Victron MPPT - You can ignore the following if you don't care, but as you asked .....
It IS connected to the Leisure Battery, but connected and controlled VIA the Controller. This means you can set it up to work in different ways, including "always on" - so it is essentially just another battery connection and "always off" - so it is never providing power.
As you have the SmartSolar model, you can use the Victron App via Bluetooth to change the setting of the LOAD via your phone - so you could actually use the LOAD as a remotely controlled output as well.
For example, in the last van I setup, the Victron SmartSolar 100/20 LOAD Output is connected to a Power Adapter for an Intranet Router tucked way in a cupboard so can be turned on and off (for a very specific purpose) via the phone.

You have a 15A MPPT so the Load Output is 15A, same as the charging current. This is a relatively light load but matches the capability of the contoller. The 75/10A model can actually do 15A as well however. The 100/20 MPPT is the largest Controller in the current Victron range with a dedicated LOAD connection and will provide loads of 20A.
Most loads in a campervan are within the 15A range I would think, except for a compressor fridge where the high inrush current is likely beyond the ability of the MPPT to deliver (not tried it though but would not recommend it).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the responses.

I think everything would run ok as-is from the battery.

@Hoovie that's really useful info about the configurability of the load output - I don't have any use for it I can presently think of (I'm sure I could contrive one), but good to know about.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
We installed a 110 w solar panel in April, using the Victron 75 / 10 smart controller. We have 2 matched leisure batteries, 80 Ah each. We did connect to the load output, connecting to the fuse box for all our 12v devices. The Victron manual suggests that some devices, such as inverters, can ‘best be connected directly to the battery’.

When we tested everything after installation this is what we found. When the MV airo heater was switched on after only a few seconds it switched off. Fairly quickly traced this back to the regulator, so connected this directly to the battery. We’d already decided to connect the inverter direct to the battery so obviously anything with big drawer won’t work. Otherwise, everything else remains connected to the load output: CD30 dometic compressor fridge, various LED lights, several USB charging sockets and a water pump. We spent the whole of June in France, mostly in Corsica, and it was very hot. In the event, we never needed to hook up relying on solar power only. The fridge was on all the time, usually some items charging via USB chargers, an electric toothbrush plugged in continuously, LED lights in the evenings, inverter used occasionally (to charge up laptop), the diesel heater used very rarely (such as after getting soaked in a rare thunderstorm while out on the bikes!) although we quite often used it’s fan to help keep air circulating. We were really happy at how everything worked.

The Victron app is a bit compulsive, providing far more information than I can understand but usually indicating more yield than consumption. The only 2 days where this didn’t happen we spent several hours on ferries, so simple explanation. At the end of the day, I don’t have the technical knowledge to say whether connecting to the load or direct to the batteries made any difference, simply that these were our experiences.

Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I connect the fridge direct to the battery. For me it keeps things simple, I don’t spend my holiday playing with a compulsive app (LOL:), the fridge automatically switches itself off if the battery voltage is too low and it reduces the number of connections between the battery and the fridge reducing potential power loss.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@jaybeetoo and @Perthus Pro, thanks for your comments and experience.

@Pothole, sort of, found a VW shop nearby that can supply and fit, but have a few other questions about their kit, see here.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts